London SE1 community website

SE1 shopping bargains

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 15 August 2007 5.18pm
The bratwurst is good, so too the olive oil. I'm also a fan of the tinned herrings in their various sauces. Keep an eye out for the smoked buckling fillets - absolutely delicious!
Wednesday 15 August 2007 8.15pm
Barkyhead's olive oil has reminded me that the balsamic vinegar is very good for the price.
Wednesday 15 August 2007 9.07pm
I am snobbish about my food, but I love a bargain, and mostly treat Lidl like a Central European deli. I recommend all the veg, rye bread, tomato juice, apple juice, vermouth, chocolate, Tortilla chips, muesli, pasta, flour tortillas, olive oil, gouda slices, chorizo. And I get the weekly email for the non-food specials.
Thursday 16 August 2007 6.39am
I like Lidls Polish sausages, multi-vitamin juice and their excellent german coffee. Great store and a welcome alternative to Bourough Market.
Thursday 16 August 2007 11.13am
Oh how I love SE1, and the fact that I am part of a community that shops at both Borough Market and Lidl! That's what I call style.
Thursday 16 August 2007 12.05pm
Aren't we lucky to have both. Tesco is depressing and Sainsbury's irritating. Though I would welcome a Waitrose and some more small shops.

I bought a Lidl unicycle but not a horse blanket. Does anyone have both, or something equally vital for life in SE1?
Thursday 16 August 2007 12.28pm
I bought a golf ball retriever. I'd say that's pretty vital for life in SE1.
Thursday 16 August 2007 3.58pm
I bought a wall chaser from Aldi.

Lidl's Black Forest Schinken, their bread mixes (for those with bread machines like JAC) Their white bread flour - very cheap.

Quote:
Oh yes I was pleasently surprised by the gin in the green bottle - absolutely fine for later in the evening and certainly the best I've had at that price point

Frankly, I prefer it to most Gins. It has a lovely flat Tanqueray-style flavour.

Beware the gin in the clear bottle though. You save 10p, and it's only fit for washing up.

Talking of which, their dishwasher powder works well.
Thursday 16 August 2007 4.11pm
They also do frozen crabs which are OK. Their frozen lobsters are a bit small.

Aldi sometimes sells icewine - it's German so is not as good as the Canadian real thing but is cheap and good value.
Thursday 16 August 2007 4.14pm
Forgot to mention my favourite bargain - it's actually from Borough Market. The Artisan du Chocolat stand sells off any "not perfect" chocolates for 2 per bag. They're delicious.

Not such a bargain but by far the nicest chocolates I've tasted are their sea salted caramels
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions