London SE1 community website

SE1 shopping bargains

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Thursday 16 August 2007 5.23pm
martinr wrote:
Aldi sometimes sells icewine - it's German so is not as good as the Canadian real thing but is cheap and good value.

I thought Eiswein was a particularly German thing - certainly the Germans seem very proud of it when it is the season for it. It seems that both the Germans and the Canadians have a tradition of it:

http://www.wineontheweb.com/features/icewineoreiswein/icewineoreiswein.html
Friday 17 August 2007 6.58am
Sounds like a nice lolly..can't wait to try it.:-)
Saturday 18 August 2007 2.35pm
I love the prosecco too. Undistinguished certainly, but a perfectly pleasant everyday tipple, and down to an unbelievable 2-29 for a week recently!
Saturday 18 August 2007 5.13pm
German Eiswein is the original, I think. Sure, Canadian Icewine is very good - principally Inniskillin - but there is more variety in Germany. You will also find ice wines in Austria (Waterloo Wines stocks one from there), Hungary and Croatia, among others.
Saturday 18 August 2007 8.19pm
I stand corrected about the history of icewine but I have to say that the Canadian wine is IMO far superior to any German brand I've tasted (and unfortunately far more expensive). I'd like to try the Austrian / Hungarian versions.
Saturday 18 August 2007 11.00pm
The most expensive German Eiswein can be fiendishly costly. Berry Bros currently have one that's 300 a bottle - and it's a 2002, i.e. not a fully mature wine. The problem is that the German Eiswein that is widely available is strictly low-end stuff. Plus, there's a prevailing wariness of German wine. IMHO Germany produces the best white wines in the world, at almost every price point, but many British consumers are stuck with the negative image of vile stuff like Blue Nun and can't bring themselves to dry a good Auslese.
Saturday 5 April 2008 2.52pm
The (otherwise poor) 99p Shop next to the OKR Tesco currently has Douwe Egberts ground coffee for, er, 99p. Choose from cafetiere or filter grind.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 6.00pm
The Borough High St Post Office is selling off stationery and postal supplies for 40p each. I fgot a stack of mailing boxes and some packs of old school blank postcards.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 6.23pm
The Circle Deli has about 300 DVD on sale at 2 a go - some good titles too.
Tuesday 13 September 2011 2.06pm
Excellent black leather biker boots at Lidl on the Old Kent Road, only 24.99, and perfectly wearable as a casual boot, bike or not. Mostly size 7s left this morning, and a handful of 9s and 10s.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions