London SE1 community website

A good traditional chippy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 16 August 2007 5.26pm
At the Old Kent Rd end of East St, Berts Chip Shop has never disappointed me. No distractions in the form of pizza, kebabs etc - just a standard chip shop menu, decent portions and friendly service.
Friday 17 August 2007 9.26am
Emmesse wrote:
At the Old Kent Rd end of East St, Berts Chip Shop has never disappointed me. No distractions in the form of pizza, kebabs etc - just a standard chip shop menu, decent portions and friendly service.
That sounds interesting and is VERY walkable so as to get home with hot chips :)
Friday 17 August 2007 12.30pm
Southwark News ( http://www.southwarknews.co.uk/ ) has been doing a weekly spot rating local fish and chip shops - doesn't seem to be on the website, though.
Monday 20 August 2007 11.20am
The Long Lane fish bar is v good but that's the one next to the florist there is one across the road called Georges but that is awful and looks really dirty it also doesn't have any stars from the Southwark council scores on the doors see link.

Georges scores on the doors

Long Lane scores on the doors
Monday 20 August 2007 11.37am
Just asking, as a Northerner in exile, does anyone know any SE1ish chippies that will do you batter bits? The absoluteness of the north-south split has amazed me. My friend from Summer Wine country has taught one in Holborn to do them for her...

My chippy in SE16 (Blue Anchor) is pretty good, but obviously a bit far for most of you.
Monday 20 August 2007 12.36pm
uhmm...three pennorth of crackling...
Monday 20 August 2007 1.05pm
And any spare fish head you might have going. For the cat, obviously.
Monday 20 August 2007 2.04pm
pardon my ignorance but... what are batterbits??
Monday 20 August 2007 2.13pm
See also http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/2/61794

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 21 August 2007 10.16am
Batterbits were known as scraps where I grew up in the north-east (that's Teesside, not Walthamstow). They are the bits of crispy batter that have fallen off the fish, and you would ask for a shovelful with your chips. They were free.

More out of pity and nostalgia than anything else I sometimes get chips from the Sea Breeze off Walworth Road. The couple who run it look old and exhausted.

There is a photo of it, and some other nice Walworth Road images here:

http://www.sylviegoy.com/page5.htm
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions