London SE1 community website

M&S Simply Food - New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 23 August 2007 5.49pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Why, I wonder, do I have a problem with M&S food? It's just too shiny and too perfect looking and certainly too pricey. But I think it's probably a silly fixation on my part.

I think it's the fact that it's so obvious that it is aimed at gullible fools with money to microwave. Enjoy the feeling of superiority that comes from not being taken in by it. :D
Thursday 23 August 2007 5.53pm
Slightly off topic but I hope they do something with the big concrete flower containers on the forecourt which have been full of weeds and overgrown for years!
Thursday 23 August 2007 5.57pm
INDOMIE wrote:
Slightly off topic but I hope they do something with the big concrete flower containers on the forecourt which have been full of weeds and overgrown for years!

They'll probably package them in plastic with a label that says "These are not just weeds. These are M&S weeds" and no doubt some idiot will buy them.
Thursday 23 August 2007 6.59pm
I hate to be so sniffy about what is obviously a good sign in some ways, but I won't be shopping there. I cook, I don't reheat.

I will stick with the fantastic Old Kent Food Centre, and Lidl.
Thursday 23 August 2007 7.20pm
Andrew H wrote:
I hate to be so sniffy about what is obviously a good sign in some ways

A good sign? That depends on your perspective. It's certainly a sign that many of the people who currently live locally and certainly their children will eventually be unable to afford to live here. Those that remain may well find themselves securely tenanted in social housing, but they may be unable to afford to shop here. It's a sign that the refurbed Elephant may have hundreds of snazzy boutiques, but nowhere to buy a pint of milk. It's a sign that we may end up with lots of lovely shops, but none of them will be selling anything you actually need; lots of things you might want (if you had the money), but nothing you actually need.
Thursday 23 August 2007 8.53pm
That's what I meant.
Thursday 23 August 2007 9.42pm
Andrew H wrote:
I cook, I don't reheat.

Is there a slight over-reaction here? It's M&S! We all know what they sell/don't sell and it's not all microwave fast food. But it's great for that last-minute-Sunday/after work-nothing-in-the-fridge-moment. The quality is usually good, they do sell fresh produce and judging by the way the Waterloo station shop has been managed (not from the start but it's OK now) the sell-by dates are ok too. How about 1 donated to a nominated charity for everyone registered on this site who is brave enough to admits to using it :)
Thursday 23 August 2007 10.06pm
mon2 wrote:
Is there a slight over-reaction here? It's M&S! We all know what they sell/don't sell and it's not all microwave fast food. But it's great for that last-minute-Sunday/after work-nothing-in-the-fridge-moment. The quality is usually good, they do sell fresh produce and judging by the way the Waterloo station shop has been managed (not from the start but it's OK now) the sell-by dates are ok too.

Agreed! I regularly use the branch at More London; the feta cheese, Italian salad, houmous, fresh baked bread, etc, etc are all great and go nowhere near my microwave! It's not cheap, but if it's cheapness you want go to Asda/Walmart on the OKR. Or Lidl. Your choice!
Thursday 23 August 2007 10.10pm
I don't want cheapness, I want quality and freshness, and if I can get it cheap, so much the better. I have worked at M&S and I wouldn't buy their stuff, I just don't think it's worth the money.

But like I said, I am glad it's there.
Thursday 23 August 2007 10.35pm
They sell fresh stuff in M&S Food stores? I thought it was all wrapped in plastic and pumped full of inert gas that renders it as biologically dead as the plastic wrapping itself. It's that sort of packaged lettuce that decays within 24 hours of the packet being opened. Whereas when I buy an unpackaged lettuce and stick it my fridge it's still freshish, if a bit limp, 4 days later.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions