London SE1 community website

M&S Simply Food - New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Friday 24 August 2007 10.09am
I don't think this thread is snobby at all. It's inverse snobbery. I loathe M&S, it is so expensive and I really don't believe that the quality matches the price.
Friday 24 August 2007 10.45am
then don't go there! i love it, dead easy to pop in and pick summat up, not all of us find microwaves and heating food up such a horror.
Friday 24 August 2007 10.57am
Surely it's got to be better and no more expensive than BP's attempt at a food shop after Safeway departed?
Friday 24 August 2007 11.38am
M&S simply food is a lot better than the awful sainsbury in borough high street.... and for a convenience store it offers a great range of products...the one at More is excellent
Sunday 26 August 2007 9.41am
I have not been there yet, but as I work long unsocial hours somedays, the idea of popping around the corner and buying say a piece of steak/chicken is good news, I can wander down New kent rd. and get fresh fruit and veg.from the little store. It's the butchers that seem to be disappearing, cant't even get fresh tripe or cowheel easily now days..:-( or ox liver!
Zoe
Sunday 26 August 2007 10.08am
I love the chocolate in M&S, it's not just chocloate, it really is M&S chocolate!
Sunday 26 August 2007 10.26am
Blimey, what a lot of negativity about M&S food! I don't think it's going to be compulsory to shop there, eh. Also it's not as if they're replacing an organic, SE1-produced, Fairtrade community co-operative. And I'm not sure that M&S are single-handedly responsible for the gentrification of Elephant & Castle?

We have the joy of living in a free and diverse society. M&S wouldn't have a whole chain of shops already, and wouldn't be opening this one, if there weren't millions of people who regularly choose to shop there. For me it's too expensive for regular shopping, but I enjoy the occasional treat of things that are more complicated than I would bother to prepare for myself. M&S do do really nice ready meals and puddings.

Ditto with the little packages of chopped fruit at Sainsburys - surely your real complaint is with your fellow shoppers, who like to buy them, rather than with Sainsburys who cater to that demand. Myself, I'm quite partial to their little packets of chopped coconut, not having the appetite for a whole one!

Live and let live, I say.

Perhaps this all makes me so unacceptably middle class that you'd rather I moved somewhere else?
Tuesday 28 August 2007 9.26am
Personally I live about 5 minutes walk around the corner and will not object to anything that adds variety into the area. I don't cook once in a blue moon but it's handy to know that I can get something instant(ish) if I'm out of food. I'll probably use it occasionaly and so long as the likes of Lidl and the cheap markets down the Old Kent Road are still going to be around (which I expect they will - few people eat nothing but M&S) I'm quite happy.

The only thing I think we need in the area we're really missing now is a proper 24 hour shop and a decent supermarket that doesn't hike its prices because of it's smaller size. The garage was always only somewhere I'd go in the daytime.
Tuesday 28 August 2007 12.56pm
You said that with a little laugh, Zoe :-)
Tuesday 28 August 2007 3.28pm
I do have one question - I had heard it was opening but is it actually open? The M&S website doesn't seem to have it listed.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions