London SE1 community website

Starbucks in Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Friday 7 September 2007 1.28pm
Or even a place which is owned by the people who work there. Just like the rest of Europe.

...if you press it, they will come.
PKM
Friday 7 September 2007 1.54pm
I don't like Starbucks ' coffee so don't go there but plenty of people do, so hard to say that they should be kep out of the neighbourhood. I do like Caffe nero though - one of few places that serves coffee in a normal size cup (not a bathtub). Monmoth is very good - goes without saying. I hope there is room for all types of cafes.

Isn't Sobo owned by the people that work there?
Friday 7 September 2007 3.32pm
Starbucks coffee isn't even coffee. It tastes (to me) like a watered down coffee cream. I guess that's why they have so many different flavoured coffee, so you don't have to taste the 'coffee'. The cafe in the building I work in now serves Starbucks , and it's just horrible. I used to go out to get a coffee, but that's not really practical. They are obviously brilliant at the business side of things, but it amazes me that people want to buy coffee from them.
PKM
Friday 7 September 2007 4.18pm
You've got to hand it to them - they do choose to set up in places where no-one else has shown an interest. They were there in Shad Thames when it was just a street of estate agents, in St katherines Docks when hardly anyone ventured over there and in Clink St before South Bank happened. Still, shame about the coffee!
Friday 7 September 2007 4.31pm
Amano is a local success story, as far as I know. Their food and ambiance is great.

They are great competition - and they will be opening in Potters Field Park which is one clever place to get a site.

I am guessing a coffee house will open in Tabard Square too - it seems like a natural. Maybe next summer I will be sitting in the middle of the square, bit of sun, trees swaying, muffled traffic and people watching. Ahhhh, bring on next summer. Wouldn't it be great if it was owner-run - just like the old days!
Friday 7 September 2007 5.02pm
Starbucks coffee is awful...the kind that is sold in places that dont have decent coffee traditions. however its better than the shabby mobile phone shop that was there before. it will also put the fear of god up the other cafes nearby. near borough station there are several down market places that will have to make improvements if they are to survive. as an empire square resident i too look forward to a quality cafe opening in the square but im not holding my breath. word is that they havent even had a viewing for the restaurant "pavilion" at the centre of the square
Saturday 8 September 2007 4.40pm
it's a shame (but unsusprising) to hear that Starbucks is spreading. They operate like a virus, and if you read Naomi Klein's take on it, their strategy is to try and shut down independent coffee shops through proliferation (a potted version of her take on this is at http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/politicsphilosophyandsociety/story/0,6000,371869,00.html)
Personally I'd say that it's worth trying to avoid Starbucks and spend your money in the independent cafes. (Hoping these independents are smart enough to get wifi if they have not already)
Saturday 8 September 2007 6.07pm
it hasnt got anything to do with wifi....its decent coffee we have a need for. if the independent cafes want to survive and thrive they need to get proper barista s in and smarten up their decors. good coffee will get the punters flocking in
Saturday 8 September 2007 11.07pm
so the favoured place for filter coffee (not espresso/cappuccino) would be...?
Sunday 9 September 2007 12.59am
curatrix wrote:
so the favoured place for filter coffee (not espresso/cappuccino) would be...?

Monmouth Coffee Company: freshly brewed by the cup rather than sitting stewing on a hot plate for however long.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions