London SE1 community website

Starbucks in Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Sunday 9 September 2007 10.40pm
Totally agree with Zappomatic that the filter coffee is great at Monmouth. Not many places make each cup from scratch.
Monday 10 September 2007 11.52am
mmm, i love the Starbucks mocha light frapochino, mmm lovely!
Monday 1 October 2007 3.45pm
I tried Starbucks opposite borough tube last week after seeing the old T-mobile refitted

nice layout, shame about all the rest.

there were 2 foreign girls serving last week, the girl taking the order was ok but the one serving the orders had an attitude and was hopeless.

I also asked for a lid, the normal paper ones wih the drinking hole as there were none near to the counter or sugar area, she told me to use a plastic one inseat with a straw hole in the centre, what a load of good that is.

today i thought i would try it again as there was black chap serving. he was also arrogant and just said "yeah". not how may i help you today sir or simular courtesy

the coffee he made tasted of washing up liquid and was watery. disgusting

the staff and management should take a walk up the road to Costa Coffee the place i normally go and will continue to use so they can see how to trat customers and how to make proper coffee, its not perfect by all means but its 1oox better than Starbucks opposite borough tube!

avoid!
Monday 1 October 2007 11.43pm
I notice that the Cafe Arlington place on Southwark Bridge road is practicaly empty, in contrast to Starbucks , which was too jammed for me to enter.

I was intrigued to see why Arlington was not busy. I liked the funky interior, there is loads of space, and my cappucino was really good.

It appears that there wireless internet service is free, too. Yet there were just 3 customers and 3 staff !

It is a charity too.
Tuesday 2 October 2007 7.48am
Cafe Arlington is normally pretty busy in my experience. But Starbucks seems to have this amazing power of magnetism, especially for people who don't live in places where Starbucks is ubiquitous. I was in Japan a few years ago with some Swedes and Finns, who, despite their impeccable left-wing credentials and keen interest in ecopolitics, descended on Starbucks (and also Subway) as if they'd just been offered the chance to play supermarket sweep with Imelda Marcos's shoe collection. Which struck me as weird.
Tuesday 2 October 2007 3.42pm
WHat the hell is wrong with Starbucks . It actually isnt doing that well in the UK, Costa and Caffe Nero are doing better, why not complain about them.
Tuesday 2 October 2007 3.43pm
because the staff and coffee are better at costa (never tried nero)
Tuesday 2 October 2007 3.52pm
According to http://www.igd.com/CIR.asp?menuid=67&cirid=2042 as of last year Starbucks had a higher market share than Costa. Caffe Nero only had an 8% share as it's not that common outside London.
Tuesday 2 October 2007 5.54pm
the problem with all of them...costa, starbucks, nero is that they are selling coffee to people who dont like or understand it anyway. the coffee in most of britain is appalling and these chains just look good in comparison with what other rubbish is around. the only places where Starbucks succeed are countries with poor coffee traditions. you dont get crowds packing Starbucks in rome or milan do you? forget Starbucks and go to monmouth, the best coffee in se1
Wednesday 3 October 2007 8.55am
well, i will give monmouth a try.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions