London SE1 community website

Berkeley Homes @ Potters Fields & ex-St Olave's Grammar School

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 47
Monday 24 September 2007 8.10am
Mickey, wont that still be hiding the Tower, or is the CGI misleading? Lovely pic though.
Monday 24 September 2007 1.34pm
It doesn't matter if it hides the Tower - ie the bit which is the White Tower which looks like a pastiche anyway.

Is that Sauron's Tower on top of The Hill? I'd prefer a Dalek atop it.

http://pottersfields.blogspot.com/
Monday 24 September 2007 3.11pm
That visual is just to show the conceptual beautifulness of the idea
and the park for public use ,it wouldn't have to be that high.( I do like though the way
it makes London look a bit like Edinburgh.in a small way.

Monday 24 September 2007 7.00pm
That hill looks loopy. I know that's just a representation but it does seem a pretty far-fetched idea.

To me this is all very simple. Stanton has done nothing over the last 5 years to come up with the cultural use he has been talking about. Today he can no longer bury his head in the sand and say there is no alternative as there is the above and The British Sport Museum who have the money to create something world class on the site. However Councillor Stanton is paying the price for his inaction and is now under considerable pressure from Ken Livingstone and his friend Tony Pidgley to finally do something residential. Having the site developed by the 2012 Olympics will be a major factor. Stanton's failure to embrace a serious mainly cultural proposal leaves him with the Berkeley Homes scheme. The weakness of his position and arguments against the Berkeley Homes scheme in the recent meeting with the Mayor that Jackie Rokotnitz referred to has given Ken Livingstone the ammunition to threaten a Compulsory Purchase Order last week to stop Southwark's “faffing around” This will inevitably go to a Public Inquiry and Southwark will lose.

The new Chief Executive Annie Shepperd, who today clearly calls the shots in Southwark (as well as having a reputation from her previous job in Walsall for riding roughshod over people and firing those who don't do what she says), couldn't care less about the Council's new UDP nor Councillor Stanton's promises to the local community about “mainly cultural use” and will be milking Potter's Field to make as much money as she can.
I agree with SE 22 Girl. If Southwark Council do not treat this world class site with the respect that it deserves then a Solicitor should be brought in to bring judicial proceedings and contacts should be made with the Local Government Ombudsman, the Audit Commission, the Committee on Standards in Public Life and so on. It can be stopped and it should be stopped.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 8.05am
One wonders whether the Mayor+Annie Shepherd+Tony Pidgley ruling victorious over the public protests (and the total incompetence of Nick Stanton) will not be a major scandal worthy of questions in Parliament. This is a disgraceful story of greed and arrogance. It sets a really dangerous precedent. And I thought we'd at last got rid of John Prescott - the source of this pattern of doing things.
Wednesday 26 September 2007 1.54pm
The Mayor has used his Labour conference speech to tell Southwark that it must do a deal wth BH within the next month or face a CPO.
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2934

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 26 September 2007 2.48pm
Latest news is that Ken has undertaken a raptuous diatribe against Suothwark Council today at the Labour Party conference. Buoyed by a week of sun, sand and candyfloss, he is now threatening to use CPO powers to acquire the missing chink in the Site owned by Southwark which is thwarting Berkeley Homes plans.

Whilst I am all for affordable housing, these Dalek buildings would be a complete and utter disaster for the area - how they ever got planning permission by Prescott is beyond me! If built, for years Londoners will see Tower Bridge and the Tower of London and dispair at what has been put right up against them on the south side of the river. Nothing short of a desecration of one of the most sensitive sites in the capital. On a local level, Potters Field Park will never get sun on the grass again!

Sorry Ken - right ideal, wrong place. Residents of SE1 - unite and fight this horrendous scheme!

As for using your Labour Conference speech to sing the praises of Berekeley, well Ken - who would ever have dreamt it?!!!
Wednesday 26 September 2007 2.51pm
the mayor has put southwark in a no-win situation

they won't do a deal just because of the time delay (i hope) and the developer won't because he knows in a month southwark are no longer the organ grinders

this is a deeply undemocratic action by the mayor.

i say this from a point of view where i am not opposed the proposed scheme in the slightest. i am, however, angered by the actions of the mayor (...again)
Wednesday 26 September 2007 2.55pm
Very much agree with the point above. I am sure most people recognise the need for social housing. I very much doubt, however, that Berkeley Homes are in this scheme to do it's bit to solve our national housing crisis. They will do all they can to bring the social housing element down as low as possible and drive up the number of high value apartments and make a nice fat profit from one of the last - as well as most important - free areas of London's riverside with these horrendous buildings.

On a practical level I urge everyone to write to the Mayor informing him that you will not be voting for him at next year's election as a result of his position on this issue, but more importantly we need someone with press contacts to get a story into the media and get some momentum going to prevent the Daleks being steam-rollered through. Can anyone help?
Wednesday 26 September 2007 3.10pm
garethpmorgan wrote:
On a practical level I urge everyone to write to the Mayor informing him that you will not be voting for him at next year's election as a result of his position on this issue, but more importantly we need someone with press contacts to get a story into the media and get some momentum going to prevent the Daleks being steam-rollered through. Can anyone help?

I think I already emailed Ken to say I wouldnt be voting for him over another issue so I cant use that tactic again ;-).

On a serious note - local journalists and the Standard etc.. will pick this up from James' article very quickly (though they wont give him any credit). I've spoken to one or two about it already so hopefully they will check out James' article and follow up.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 47

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions