London SE1 community website

St Mary's Churchyard, Newington Butts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Thursday 20 September 2007 3.44pm
We used to use it Mapmaker, it came under the rockingham estate group...used to have loads of wild flowers, foxes still use the dens under it. If thats the one in the old Dickens square..Repo or rockingham estate playgroup?
Sunday 6 January 2008 7.43pm
I see that this is already at least 2 months behind schedule. Funny how all the private developments at the Elephant seem to be coming on apace and anything the council has something to do with (i.e. the roundabouts) is massively delayed.

Sad to see they have ripped out the iron railings too - precious little at the elephant has any age, and its sad to lose what historic things we do have, which might help to give the area some character.
Sunday 6 January 2008 7.58pm
I have a feeling the railings are going to be put back...
Sunday 6 January 2008 9.03pm
I hope so, they don't seem to be in any of the graphics above. They have done a nice job in ruining the stonework in taking them out too.
PJ
Sunday 6 January 2008 10.11pm
I couldn't agree more about the council and I hope someone from the council reads this but they are completely inept regarding Elephant and Castle's regeneration.
Tuesday 15 April 2008 3.48pm
The revamped churchyard officially opens this Friday.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 15 April 2008 3.59pm
James Hatts wrote:
The revamped churchyard officially opens this Friday.

with, or without the railings????
PJ
Tuesday 15 April 2008 5.34pm
I am living abroad for short while at the moment. What does the finished Church yard look like? Does it live up to expectations? any photos?
Tuesday 15 April 2008 9.50pm
With the railings, though they wrecked the masonry taking them out. Its only 5 months late too...
Wednesday 16 April 2008 8.19am
It's a bit...er...sterile and manicured. I liked the grassy mound it had before, more adventurous for kids. But it's certainly tidy and renewed, if rather self consciously "landscaped". Not sure how user friendly it will be, we shall have to see.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions