London SE1 community website

First noisy night of many

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 11 October 2007 8.23am
Community Safety Wardens have a specific brief to deal with this. Warning shopkeepers who sell fireworks without a licence to minors, and dealing with people who let them off at unsuitable times and in dangerous ways. You can contact them here:

http://www.safersouthwark.org.uk/communitywardens
borough&banksidewardens@southwark.gov.uk

231-232 Elephant and Castle shopping centre London SE1 6TE
020 7277 3789

Hope this helps
Thursday 11 October 2007 9.21am
I for one would be in favour of banning the sale of fireworks - they are really dangerous. I remember in the 80s there used to be adverts warning kids not to chuck fireworks, showing small children getting them in their faces, but they don't seem to show them any more. If anyone got hit by a firework they'd be badly injured and burnt, especially if it exploded near them, so I don't think it's being 'nannyish' not to want kids to play with them. Evidently, they don't have any sense of responsibility, otherwise they wouldn't be letting them off horizontally down streets, and given that, I don't see why they should be allowed to play with dangerous explosives.
Thursday 11 October 2007 9.36am
chuckalata wrote:
Evidently, they don't have any sense of responsibility, otherwise they wouldn't be letting them off horizontally down streets, and given that, I don't see why they should be allowed to play with dangerous explosives.

The kids donts have a sence of responsibility! What a bout the shop keepers who sell the fireworks to them or the adults that buy them for them. Perhaps they would have a better sence of responsibility if they were set a better example.
Thursday 11 October 2007 11.11am
those kids boss st bloke was commenting on are just downright wild. no parental control. so sense of civil responsibility. they are basically feral. the only way to deal with them is to not be intimidated and stand up to them when they are running wild in the streets. anyway they should be at home doing their homework shouldn't they? solution? a license to breed and a restriction on the numbers of children useless parents can produce
Thursday 11 October 2007 11.11am
Fireworks should be banned. There are enough public displays nowdays that there is no need for selling them to the general public. It is not a nanny state to stop kids getting hold of what is potentially an offensive weapon.
Thursday 11 October 2007 11.53am
The public displays in SE1 are fantastic. I always go to the biggies - the Lord mayor's, Ken Festival etc.

So I agree - stop selling them directly to the public; especially the feral kids.

Kevin
Thursday 11 October 2007 12.01pm
boroughpaul wrote:
those kids boss st bloke was commenting on are just downright wild. no parental control. so sense of civil responsibility. they are basically feral. the only way to deal with them is to not be intimidated and stand up to them when they are running wild in the streets. anyway they should be at home doing their homework shouldn't they? solution? a license to breed and a restriction on the numbers of children useless parents can produce

It takes a lot of parental control to get homework done even in civalised homes! But im not sure ferral kids as you call them do homework, sadly by that time they start lobbing fireworks, they have vertually dropped out of the education system. Not sure about the licience to breed either did you see the excellent documentry "china's Stolen Children" this week. I think maybe we should stop blaming only the kids and the parents and start looking at society as a whole. Assuming they do not want to stay at home every night with the parents (most teenagers) and want to meet your friends. What is there for them to do in SE1 in the evening?
Thursday 11 October 2007 12.04pm
Just to be clear im not defending them playing with fireworks just suggesting that we also look at the causes of why they are bored and on the streets with nothing to do but get into trouble, rather than get into the rant the kids of today are all etc etc
Thursday 11 October 2007 12.35pm
and i'm takign a guess here, don't the majority of fireworks get sold and used properly round november 5th? should those people not be able to buy coz of a minority?

anyway, i agree with the point, why are they selling fireworks now anyway? must only be the money i guess
Thursday 11 October 2007 1.05pm
so why is it society's job or the govenment's job to "entertain" these "bored" kids. this is the nanny state gone mad..."entertain us or we will let fireworks off in the street and terrorise normal law abiding people" that seems to be the ultimatum these yobs present to the rest of us. why cant they go to the cinema or play football?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions