London SE1 community website

First noisy night of many

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Thursday 11 October 2007 1.28pm
mister wrote:
and i'm takign a guess here, don't the majority of fireworks get sold and used properly round november 5th? should those people not be able to buy coz of a minority?

It's Eid on Saturday, so that will probably be why fireworks are on sale in quantity at the moment.
Thursday 11 October 2007 2.25pm
I agree entirely with Dee-Dee - and some other of the more inteligent comments.

Fireworks ARE a menace and potential danger to people and animals. The times, they have a-well-and-truly changed! Sadly - tragically - a lot of today's children are not interested in the 'excitement' of Bonfire Night, they simply want to 'make mischief' and, for some reason, find making loud noises entertaining.

Where I live [City Walk] there have been fireworks in the area for several weeks - and the 'canyon' formed by other buildings makes the noise reverberate, terrifies my cat and doesn't do a lot for my peace of mind. As I have said elsewhere, on this Forum, there seems to be such little Consideration towards people, these days.

This has nothing to do with being a so-called grumpy old man, on any level. Those who say it does belong to that ever-increasing group of ignorant, inconsiderate people.

It will not stop on 8 November - it will go on and on, through Christmas and into the New Year.

Every year there is a half-hearted debate, after someone is seriously hurt - and nothing changes.

Ban the sale of fireworks and prosecute the greedy, potential killers. These are not 'pretty fireworks' - they are weapons.
Thursday 11 October 2007 2.43pm
chuckalata wrote:
mister wrote:
and i'm takign a guess here, don't the majority of fireworks get sold and used properly round november 5th? should those people not be able to buy coz of a minority?

It's Eid on Saturday, so that will probably be why fireworks are on sale in quantity at the moment.

oh yea! silly me!
Thursday 11 October 2007 3.26pm
I remember writing on a brick wall with a lit Roman Candle! how dumb was that, My mum just said be careful you'll burn yourself..but we never threw bangers at anyone, only into the bonfire! I hate bangers, crackers,catherine wheels...even organised displays can be dangerous.

I really think more warnings should be shewn about throwing fireworks at people though. Kids love the flipping things though.
Thursday 11 October 2007 4.33pm
boroughpaul wrote:
why cant they go to the cinema or play football?

Nearest cinema surrey quays and the cost of a ticket more than most teenagers can afford more than one night a week. Football, actually not aware of any clubs in SE1 and anyway not all kids like football. Swimming Pool closed years ago again have to go to surrey quays. Scouts nearest group Waterloo, nearest Venture scouts (over 15s) Vauxhall. When I was a teenager I hung around the street but we were not called yobs just kids hannging around in the street. Jan the old one even admits to playing with fireworks in her youth I bet she wasn't a yob though nor accused of being one.

I think we should stop always blaming the ytouth for the state of society today and take some responsibility ourselves. Like I tried to say I think the shop keepers who sell the fireworks to the kids are the real villians in this case.
Thursday 11 October 2007 5.06pm
Who's to say they pay for the fireworks? Plenty of kids (yobs or otherwise) shoplift. Or perhaps their parents or their over-18 friends buy the fireworks. I think we do actually have to blame the kids who are throwing them for throwing the fireworks. It's the fact that they think it's okay for them to scare people, endanger themselves, others and property, that's the problem.
Thursday 11 October 2007 5.38pm
It always amazes me how parents who would never give their children matches are letting them play with something else that would scar/maim them for life...sparklers!

they burn like a welding torch..
Thursday 11 October 2007 9.38pm
[quote chuckalata]Who's to say they pay for the fireworks? Plenty of kids (yobs or otherwise) shoplift. quote]

Fire works if sold legally must be kept in a locked fireproof cabinet
Friday 12 October 2007 5.44am
"Nearest cinema surrey quays and the cost of a ticket more than most teenagers can afford more than one night a week. Football, actually not aware of any clubs in SE1 and anyway not all kids like football. "

I think we should stop always blaming the ytouth for the state of society today and take some responsibility ourselves.

right...so its our fault is it?? all you need for a football game is a couple of jumpers and a bit of grass to play on. as for the cinema there are plenty of mulitplexx-style cinemas around catering to the youth movie market and all youngsters have oyster cards. i think we need to cut out the excuses and deal with social misfits firmly. restricting the sale of fireworks (to those arranging large scale displays) would be a start
Friday 12 October 2007 6.04am
I see in the paper today that most five year olds cant read or write their NAMES even, never mind anything more. This means probably that their reading skills are pretty poor even by eight or nine. All these cries of "there's nothing for the children to do, they're bored" makes me wild. When I was a small child, and even a medium sized child, there was no TV, I lived in the middle of nowhere, but I RUSHED home from school to finish my homework and READ MY BOOK. By the age of five and six I was reading huge quantities. Yes life was safer on the streets and out in the woods, there were fewer cars etc., but no one felt they should give us wall to wall amusement...we made up games and used our imagination And as for letting off fireworks in crowded urban environments...we'd have had our little hides tanned.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions