London SE1 community website

First noisy night of many

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Friday 12 October 2007 8.43am
Jackie - everything you've said could have been said by me (other than the bit about living in the middle of nowhere) and I'm under 30.
Friday 12 October 2007 9.59am
And me, and I'm 30 and three quarters. If we did want to do something that cost money, we saved up our pocket money for it. To be fair, we weren't kicked out of the house in the evening and I'm sure plenty of parents kick their kids out in the evenings because they get in the way/make too much noise etc.

I think it's just an symptom of how no one wants to take responsibility for themselves any more. Nothing is ever the fault of the individual, it's always someone else/society who's to blame. Parents aren't at fault for having feral children, it's society's fault that there isn't a constant stream of free entertainment for them, so they are forced to chuck fireworks and vandalise cars/bus stops as entertainment.
PKM
Friday 12 October 2007 10.08am
I always wonder if its because we have struggled to make sure everyone understands their rights, that somewhere along the line we have forgotten to assert the importance of the responsibilities that go with those rights.
Friday 12 October 2007 10.14am
Well, I too am 30 and three quarters and I agree on most points with chuckalata, but I also remember contemporaries moaning that there was "never anything to do," which was, of course, rubbish. I also remember being allowed to "play out" all the time in the streets of Maidstone and that there was a large group of us between the ages of 8-13 mucking around. It would never have even crossed our minds to get up to anything bad - mostly we were playing 40-40 or whizzing around on bikes and roller boots, but occasionally the residents of the cul-de-sac in which we spent much of our time would call the police on us (too noisy, perhaps?), who would turn up and check what we were up to and tell us to be a bit quieter, but that was it. We all got told at primary school by the fire liaison officer that throwing fireworks was bad, and none of us ever did - not even the rough boys around the corner did anything like that. The first time I experienced anything like that was in a nasty part of Liverpool about 10 years ago. What I don't understand is why the parents of these ghastly children don't feel any sense of responsibility to society as a whole and so don't feel any need to teach their offspring right from wrong.
Friday 12 October 2007 2.39pm
I dont think I am getting my point across very well. I make no excuses for kids that throw fireworks at people vandalise cars etc. Being bored just doesnt cut it in these cases. However I do feel those that supply fireworks to kids be it adults buying them or shop keepers selling them should take most of the blame.

A side from the bad behaviour issues there are a lot of kids who as

hellsbells wrote:
I also remember being allowed to "play out" all the time in the streets of Maidstone and that there was a large group of us between the ages of 8-13 mucking around. It would never have even crossed our minds to get up to anything bad - mostly we were playing 40-40 or whizzing around on bikes and roller boots, but occasionally the residents of the cul-de-sac in which we spent much of our time would call the police on us (too noisy, perhaps?), who would turn up and check what we were up to and tell us to be a bit quieter, but that was it.

play out on the street and yet nowdays get branded as yobs just because they are out on the street and not at home reading a book. Some of them come from large families in very small flats, others have parents who just dont care but there is very little for them to do but hang out and they may seem a bit intimidating or noisy but that doesnt always mean they are yobs.

Altough some of us may have been goodie goodies when we were youths, and never got up to any mischief I'm sure the majority of us did ocassionally and the majority of the kids today are the same.

So all I am asking is next time you walk past a group of kids hanging out, assuming they are not lobbing fireworks at you as you pass (which I am sure most will not be doing) try thinking thats a group of kids hanging out, rather than, what yobs I bet their up to no good
Friday 12 October 2007 7.18pm
I do have to laugh at the perfect people who did no wrong as teenagers. If they were that boring then, I hate to think how boring they are now. You sound like the inspiration for the 'Stepford' series of films.
There were a lot more fireworks being chucked around when I was a kid (and I was doing some of the chucking) then there are today.
While I'm at it, I think most of the kids have better manners then a lot of the wrinklies who whine on about the lack of said manners.
Friday 12 October 2007 10.42pm
westofbank wrote:
I do have to laugh at the perfect people who did no wrong as teenagers. If they were that boring then, I hate to think how boring they are now. .

Couldn't agree more, and so glad that cctv wasn't around when I was growing up in the 70's! Please, let's not demonise the "youff", they're already an easy target for press and politicians to use as to why our society is in such a mess.
Friday 12 October 2007 11.56pm
Well I'm not yet 30 and I agree with everything Jackie said.
I grew up in the country, middle of nowhere, nothing to do, I played out a lot and we made our own innocent entertainment.
These days part of the problem is that because certain sectors of adults show kids no respect, the kids show no respect back and it grows and grows.
Groups of kids on the streets now feel intimidating, even if they are acting innocently.
I think that's to do with several things, including attitude, fashion and general courtesy, or the lack of it.
When I was young and playing outside we made noise, shouted, ran about and generally played up, but we never put anyone in danger with stupid, illegal games. If an adult approached the group we stopped and let them pass politely, if they spoke to us we said yes sir, no sir or whatever, because if we didn't respect people we were scared of the consequences. Being grounded by your folks, pocket money stopped or a good clip round the ear. No one thought twice of going around to the home of the kids and complaining to the parents if things got too loud.
Try that with most parents or kids these days and you'd be lucky to make it home with all your teeth.
I do say MOST, sure there are exceptions, but I only seem to encounter the first type these days.
Saturday 13 October 2007 7.13am
mon2 wrote:
westofbank wrote:
I do have to laugh at the perfect people who did no wrong as teenagers. If they were that boring then, I hate to think how boring they are now. .

Couldn't agree more, and so glad that cctv wasn't around when I was growing up in the 70's! Please, let's not demonise the "youff", they're already an easy target for press and politicians to use as to why our society is in such a mess.

no...they are an easy target because they behave badly and then we ("society") get the blame for their actions. there is no reason for 11-16 year olds being on the streets after 8pm at night anyway and as many of them hunt in packs they are perceived of as threats even if they are behaving innocently. there parents are responsible for them and should always know where they are and what they are doing
Monday 15 October 2007 9.10am
westofbank wrote:
I do have to laugh at the perfect people who did no wrong as teenagers. If they were that boring then, I hate to think how boring they are now. You sound like the inspiration for the 'Stepford' series of films.
There were a lot more fireworks being chucked around when I was a kid (and I was doing some of the chucking) then there are today.

I think that's slightly unnecessary - why is anyone boring just because they don't think chucking fireworks is a great jape for the kids? Presumably you would think it was hilarious if you got a firework in your face then? Or your kids lost a hand because one exploded in it? No one has said that they did no wrong, just that we didn't feel the need to chuck fireworks around and annoy other people. There's plenty of wrong you can get up to that isn't violent and aggressive.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions