London SE1 community website

The Rose - Late night drinking and jukebox

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 11 October 2007 5.11pm
Does anyone else ever go to the Rose for a late night drink on a Fri or Sat? Just wondered what other peoples views are on this place.

To me I think it's a great place, the lighting is spot on, not too bright like other places. There is a good mix of ages of drinkers in there. And the jukebox...well I have to say I have never come across a better Jukebox in London.
Sunday 14 October 2007 8.44pm
Never been for a late-night drink there (what time is it open until?), as such, but it is one of my favourite pubs. Although one I only go in autumn and winter - when it becomes a cosy little bolt-hole. It's not really a summer pub, is it? Unless the summer in question is summer 2007, of course...
Sunday 14 October 2007 11.21pm
It's wicked. A few too many flatheads sometimes, though.
Monday 15 October 2007 9.27am
??flatheads??

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 15 October 2007 6.32pm
The Hutch wrote:
To me I think it's a great place, the lighting is spot on, not too bright like other places. There is a good mix of ages of drinkers in there. And the jukebox...well I have to say I have never come across a better Jukebox in London.

My views exactly, a very pleasant and friendly late night drinking den indeed and the jukebox is indeed awesome. When the weather's cold, a late night spent chilling on the sofa next to the fire takes some beating, and it never seems to close!

The only negative thing I can say about The Rose is that my visits there inevitably coincide with a sore head the following day ;-) I will doubtless be in there after The Rakes gig at SE1 in a few weeks!
Monday 15 October 2007 10.54pm
A flathead is a Russian gangster.

The "gangsters" in The Rose are very small fry indeed and would love a piece of the Russian action. Nevertheless, I've become embroiled in a couple of VERY alarming conversations in there with gents who thought they were characters in a Guy Ritchie film.
Tuesday 16 October 2007 1.02pm
Ah. Thank you. Do you know why they're called that, or am I being stupid?

Wednesday 17 October 2007 5.04pm
I have no idea where it comes from, but had assumed it was meant to imply brainlessness.
Wednesday 17 October 2007 6.42pm
Ah. I had a sort of Tom and Jerry hit-in-face-with-frying-pan look in mind.

Tuesday 23 October 2007 4.50pm
The Hutch wrote:
Does anyone else ever go to the Rose for a late night drink on a Fri or Sat? Just wondered what other peoples views are on this place.

Can you tell me where The Rose is? Thanks
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions