London SE1 community website

Looking for a chiropractic clinic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 25 October 2007 4.27pm
you seem to have an agender stofan, and your links are quite biased web sites anyway.
obviously it is not worth stating true facts at you as they are going to be ignored, especially as you bring some weird thnking (religeon) into it. do yuo have a megaphone and like standing up on oxford street as well.

newcrossgate, I was thinking of posting the same as you as well, as also have a friend going to that to learn her trade.
Thursday 25 October 2007 5.56pm
Good argument...my problem with your response is that you aren't actually stating any facts at all, just ill informed opinions and that's my agenda with regards to chiropractics; most people assume that these people are medical practitioners and they are not.

With regards to religion:

http://72.30.186.56/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=palmer+and+religion&rd=r1&fr=slv8-msgr&u=www.chiro.org/Plus/History/Persons/PalmerDD/PalmerDD%27s_Religion-of-Chiro.pdf&w=palmer+religion+religions&d=aWO8eedmPp-l&icp=1&.intl=uk

The founder of chiropractics - D D Palmer wrting on his subject and indicating that he believed it to be a religion.

My agenda is purely to raise a bit of awareness that chiropractors are not medical general practitioners and many people believe that they are. It's a relatively new form of holistic healing and it's usefulness is not proven in science as say physiotherapy is.

People should use whatever works for them but they should know more about the background, history and nature of the treatment before they start. The above links are all really interesting reading and should make you think about what chiropractics is all about, which is all I was getting at. ;o)
Friday 26 October 2007 11.58am
Well, Stiofan, my facts are that two physiotherapists have tried to do things my back and achieved nothing more than temporary mild relief, but two well-trained and highly skilled chiropractors have been able to make significant improvements and I am now far better than I have been for 15 years.

I have no interest in the origins of chiropractic - D D Palmer may well have thought he was inventing a religion - and I don't really think that the treatment I have received was much different in technique from the physios, apart from its effect! No-one has mentioned anything even vaguely religious in my treatment, and modern chiropractic is probably greatly removed from D D Palmer's invention.

But I can state that chiropractors are (for whatever reason) very capable of (literally) putting their fingers on the cause of one's problem, and of effecting a lasting improvement. If that's religion, give me more! However, I think it is a real medical skill not some quack science.

There are plenty of websites which give the opposite views to the ones that you quoted. Try http://www.chiro.org, in particular http://www.chiro.org/LINKS/Safety.shtml. Niether is there anything about "join our religion" there, by the way.
Monday 29 October 2007 7.02pm
I'm glad it's working for you Possel. Again, your facts don't stand up though, as the 'fact' that your experience of physio didn't provide what you want but chiro did just means you prefer to have someone do the work for you, rather than putting the effort in yourself, and that's fine, brilliant, it's your choice and you're happy. (Still going are you? ;o) ) I just want people to make informed decisions and I think my comments on the religion of chiropractics and its origin in general is giving you an easy route to rubbish what can't be ignored: there is a lot of suspicion around the practice and people have been hurt, crippled & even killed by it.

As for the site you quoted, did you read it?? It doesn't read well at all in my opinion and the fact that they have so many sections dedicated to saying how safe the practice is should tell you something. Even more, to suggest that Medicine is actually more dangerous than chiropractics by using this language and I quote:

"the total number of deaths caused by conventional medicine is an astounding 783,936 per year. That is a mind-boggling 2147 people killed every day! That's 7 jumbo jet plane crashes, each and every day. That's a 9-11-type incident every other day... FOREVER. God help us all."

should tell you exactly the sort of intelligence and balanced argument that we're dealing with there.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 11.26am
god has nothing to do with medical practice!
how daft to say so.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 1.16pm
Bloggie wrote:
god has nothing to do with medical practice!
how daft to say so.

To be clear Bloggie - that quote is from the chiro.org website, but I think you're a little strong there - I wouldn't say Chiropractics has nothing to do with medical practice, just not a lot.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 1.35pm
Stíofán wrote:
... Again, your facts don't stand up though, as the 'fact' that your experience of physio didn't provide what you want but chiro did just means you prefer to have someone do the work for you, rather than putting the effort in yourself, and that's fine, brilliant, it's your choice and you're happy...

I actually find that comment - especially "you prefer to have someone do the work for you, rather than putting the effort in yourself" - quite rude and offensive, if I read you right.

You have no idea at all of my medical problems and yet you make a comment like that. Words fail me (well, polite ones do, anyway)
Wednesday 31 October 2007 6.39pm
Yep, I agree that was too harsh and too glib on my behalf. I was answering back to your point that seemed to me to suggest you didn't think physio's were any good, and I disagree with that but thereagain I admit there is a different solution for everyone and the important thing is to find something that works for you. Back pain is a right bugger and if you're getting relief and feeling great using your chosen remedy then who can argue with that?

Overall, my point has been that with something like a bad back, given the choice of remedys available like physio, massage, excerises of various forms, osteopath treatment, acupunture etc. I would leave the one that has the chance of you not walking away from the treatment as a last resort or at least take all the information into consideration before starting treatment.
Thursday 1 November 2007 11.00am
Stíofán wrote:
Possel wrote:
Quite unsubstantiated opinion, I warrant. Chiropractors are highly qualified and highly skilled, and where do you get your "religious theory" bit?

Have a read around, probably would have been best before you used one mind...:
in your opinion, is the world flat and evolution is a lie, and is this site yours?
http://www.imakestuffupjusttorubbishthingsicantunderstandthereforemustbeverynaughtyforyou.net
Wednesday 17 November 2010 6.54am
I bet there are many chiropractic clinic near your place :)

chiropractor adelaide
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions