London SE1 community website

Southwark's Plans for Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9
jh
Monday 29 October 2007 4.43pm
Who knows.....it really does seem like the lunatics are running the asylum at Southwark Council Towers.
Monday 29 October 2007 5.25pm
How many fatalities occurred previously? BS was always two way. Unfortunately most streets in this area Are residential and would incur the noise/inconvenience/hazards of diverted traffic.
Monday 29 October 2007 5.35pm
Two way traffic on Bermondsey? I would have thought a priority would have been to do away with the 30 yard stretch at Tanner that is presently 2-way.

Surely the objective of this plan can be nothing more than to ensure that the same people responsible for developing and implementing this nonsense can get to and from their swank new council offices with less hassle.
Monday 29 October 2007 6.27pm
FYI, talking about high speeds in 2-way roads, last month a lorry crashed into 2 trees + a lamp post was completely destroyed in Long Lane (front of Simon The Tanner's pub), where you still can see the marks caused on them. Luckily, no pedestrians were hurt but it is just a matter of time to probably see a tragic incident.
Tuesday 30 October 2007 12.31pm
This really doesn't make sense.

I spoke to a workmen who placed a monitor system on BS to see how much traffic used it. I asked him what he was doing it for? He told me that the Council were considering making BS completely pedestrianised. I also spoke to the young people with clipboards who were monitoring the "people traffic" down BS and they said the same thing.

I went to a council meeting concerning the Thames Water works and a councillor (i think)was asked if he would re-surface BS while they were doing the Water works. He replied there was no point because they would pedestrianise the whole street in the near future.

Very odd!!
Tuesday 30 October 2007 2.12pm
I also heard much about the proposed pedestrianisation and thought it was a great idea, even if it was only part of the street. I started picturing a continential style 'restaurant row' where you could sit out under the stars during the summer months (being quiet so as not to wake the neighbours, of course). Alas, Southwark Council appears to have gone off on a tangent and aims to deliver something completely contrary to the wishes of the people on this forum at the very least.

I think it may have to do with budgets...David Moffat of SC told me there wasn't enough cash to consider pedestrianisation.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 10.34am
I think pedestrianisation would be fantastic. There'd obviously have to be a window to allow deliveries and for residents to get their cars in and out.
jh
Wednesday 31 October 2007 3.20pm
What a great idea. I can't understand how full pedestrianisation would cost more than the definate resurfacing which is needed, pavement widening or any traffic scheme to make it 2-way. I guess SC will say it comes from different budgets and they can't switch money from one to another. Pedestrianisation would make the street a great place to live and work at or near, and from everyone I know would go down a storm. Come on Southwark do what your voters want.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 3.49pm
jh wrote:
Pedestrianisation would make the street a great place to live and work at or near, and from everyone I know would go down a storm. Come on Southwark do what your voters want.

You mean do what some southwark voters want. I for one do not think it is a good idea because as pointed out in my earlier post that would put more traffic onto other residential roads. The traffic has to go some where. I am also fairly sure that it would not suit many of the businesses who recieve deliveries at all times of the the day. Im not sure all could be limited to certain hours or at least not without extra cost to the businesses concerned. Also walking down the street today as I do most days I notice that some of those large lorries complained about are delivering to BS businesses.
jh
Wednesday 31 October 2007 4.22pm
Why are people in the UK so afraid of pedestrianisation? Go to Germany and most of the city centres have numerous perestrianised areas, making it pleasant, safe and less crowded for all. Oh and the shops and businesses in these city centre areas all manage to get their deliveries too. And I am in no way anti car having a rather nice one myself. They just need to be managed better. As for traffic going onto other roads, some may, but most will get bored and find a different way altogether in all likliehood. A win-win situation if you give it a go hopefully.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions