London SE1 community website

Southwark's Plans for Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Wednesday 31 October 2007 4.51pm
Pedestrianisation would reduce the traffic for the gentle people of Bermondsey Street but increase it for the many people who live on/use Tower Bridge Road, Druid Street, Weston Street etc. Those roads already have plenty of traffic thankyouverymuch so pedestrianisation would be a very poor idea indeed.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 4.54pm
As a local resident I agree with some of the points raised about the effects it could have on the rest of the local area-I think whilst pedestrianisation may be good for the residents of Bermondsey street it will mean more traffic on other local highly residential roads which are already over utilised by traffic. Any pedestrianisation has to be done as part of a larger traffic management plan to try and lessen the impact on other roads.
ADT
Thursday 1 November 2007 10.30am
jh - most UK city centres I have been in do have numerous pedestrianised areas - just not London!
Thursday 1 November 2007 11.25am
You guys are missing the point - the debate is not about the idea of padestrianising the street - it is not what the council proposes (unless you all went to a different meeting!)
At present the plan is to open it to 2 way traffic and remove ANY parking from the street!
When you talk to the council they are hoping to secure funding from the London Cyclists Network... hence the emphasis on bicycles and the desire to turn it to a 2 way street.
The residents of Bermondsey street need to focus on the current proposal and not dream on some utopian idea... it is simply not on the cards at present (so those that live around Bermondsey street need not worry about that and worry about less parking spots!)
Thursday 1 November 2007 12.55pm
This is an interesting read:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_29054.pdf

Note that pedestrianisation was an option, but seems to have been disgarded despite a good level of support (at least on this forum).
Thursday 1 November 2007 9.35pm
carmenes82 wrote:

Note that pedestrianisation was an option, but seems to have been disgarded despite a good level of support (at least on this forum).

Whilst I would agree that the majority of people are againest the idea of two traffic, if you actually count the number of posts that specifically say they are in favour of pedestrianisation and those who are not it is pretty evenly split.

I would also hassard a guess that those who live on bermondsey street are in favour those who live near by less so.
Thursday 1 November 2007 11.14pm
Judging by the photos of the stake holders walk about are these people really appropriate to judge Bermondsey Street? I know if you put someone in a suit it will already 'pigeon hole' them, but the average person looks like a white male office worker. Okay there were some 'out-liers' but honestly...

How much did this exercise cost? How much were the traffic control measures that were introduced two years ago and are now crudely tarmaced over? Think how much better that money could be spent!

My vision: Bermondsey Street two way - but with traffic control so that it is not a convenient cut through for traffic; special rates to attract more creative industries to create a 'fashion quarter'. Independent branding or events to encourage and sustain the B street buzz. Investment to sustain and revitalise the antiques market and outlying related buildings....
Thursday 1 November 2007 11.38pm
My main concern is the process that resulted in this mess. I have contacted David Moffatt at Southwark, who seems to be in charge of this exercise, to make the following points:
1) the BSAP which represents business and resdents in the area was not consulted (I am a BSAP member). The BSAP has a long history of working with developers and the council to improve the area for all and to see appropriate development
2) those they did consult were largely special interst groups as others in this thread have pointed out - and I say this as a regular cyclist who has some sympathy for the two way proposal. This resulted in the widely supported view of no through traffic not being considered. The current water works prove that two way traffic and no through traffic is workable
3) the wider issues relating to TfL controlled roads which impact on the street were ignored (probably too unpofitable for the consultants), as was the impact on the street from the huge building programme in the area

I think the exercise should be reconstituted, and a wider survey undertaken (to take into account the views of the neighbouring residents and future local development, for example). We will only get the chance to undertake something of this importance once. Let's get it right and try to get Southwark to think a little more deeply, rather than run off to an exensive consultant who comes up with an off the shelf proposal more suited to a new town high street.
jh
Friday 2 November 2007 10.51am
I fully agree....I live in Leathermarket Street and no real focus has been placed on the area around Bermondsey Street. As noted the current water works have made BS a no go street for through traffic and I for 1 can see no real problem with increased traffic levels. The consulation was minimal. I only found out about it by looking on SC's website after the event. I had a converstaion with the lady who organised the report who seemed completely indifferent to the concept of the whole area round BS being considered, and would only focus on BS itself, and not for instance why traffic crosses the street from other roads....it seems SC have been almost negligent in the way they have gone about this, and their consultants were given such a narrow remit it could not be in any way successful. SC seem to be wasting huge amounts of money on piecemeal schemes which rapidly fall into disrepte around this area, as no-one wants to look into a consolidated area plan.
Friday 2 November 2007 2.43pm
Ive noticed a marked increase of traffic at the junction of morrocco street and BS since the water works and have had/seen a few near misses at the junction by the garage. Im surprised you havent noticed in leathermarket street. I walked down these streets regualarly often several times a day and at differing times sometimes are worse than others.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions