London SE1 community website

Southwark's Plans for Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9
Friday 21 December 2007 10.07am
Once again I feel I have to point out that the Bermondsey Street was always a through road. For Hundreds of years it's been a road full of local businesses, but also a direct route to London Bridge and the station.

Just because some city types now have moved in to what they knew was a busy street there is now a call for sterilisation of the of the streets by closure of such roads. It didn't work in Soho, and it wouldn't work here. The council should be congratulated for looking at the wider impact on traffic and quality of life for the majority of unheard Southwark residents.

jh, the reason the traffic no longer stops to buy anything is that draconian parking regulations have caused that situation. It was always possible to design parking that gives the first 15-30 minutes free and then charges a lot, in order to stop commuters taking advantage and facilitate local shopping, I believe such schemes exist in other locations.
Friday 21 December 2007 10.45am
Jerry,

Your point about short-term parking is a good one. The council should make it easier for people to park for short periods to pick up bits and pieces from local businesses. It is currently possible to park on TBR for 20 mins to load/unload which seems to work well (you can pull up, nip into sixwineseight (no connection) and then drive off!).

Chris
Friday 21 December 2007 11.49am
Park with caution on the 20 min loading bays, I was given a ticket because I had locked the car and gone into a shop - ie not loading or waiting, it was into the carpet shop at the end of TBR and I was picking up some carpet that had been paid for so it was a quick in and out. I contested the ticket but had to pay up.
Friday 21 December 2007 12.02pm
mon2 - that is ridiculous - if you are loading or unloading you must, at some point, leave the car unattended and it would hardly be sensible to leave it running or unlocked. I'd be livid!
Friday 21 December 2007 12.26pm
Believe me, I was! It is ridiculous but apparently within their rights.
Friday 21 December 2007 1.41pm
Going by the number of lorries parked on yellow line in Bermondsey street most of the time and the number of times I pass lorries/vans unloading at various time of the day, I'd say that there are actually still quite a few businesses that have a steady stream of deliveries
jh
Friday 21 December 2007 2.22pm
jerry

with the best will in the world there really is very little you can stop to buy on bermondsey street

there's a couple of estate agents, a couple of hairdressers, a bakery that doesn't do retail, a couple of sandwich places, a very nice (and expensive) T-shirt shop....the post office went...oh there's a nice flower shop too.

through road it may have been...for hundreds of years even...but that doesn't mean locals have to put up with communting traffic that does nothing at all for the area....so what if it has been a cut through before....in the days when people didn't know how or have the wherewithall to stand up for their own area. What good does traffic that just passes through do? any ideas?

it needs more shops, be hospitable to local needs and offer a better enviroment for making it your focal area.....a cut through road does non of that.
ADT
Friday 21 December 2007 2.26pm
jh wrote:
What good does traffic that just passes through do? any ideas?

By gum you are right. They should also stop the hideous volume of traffic that goes past me on Old Kent Road. It is doing me no good at all.
Friday 21 December 2007 4.11pm
ADT hit the nail on the head for you jh. The traffic has to go somewhere else. When Southwark shut Trinity street it has led to the most appalling jams at the Borough High Street/Dover Street/Long Lane junction. The council thinks this chaos is preferable to the traffic in Trinity Street. I don't think so. I have seen many nasty incidents of road rage caused by this chaos. Trinity street residents got their way (many speculated as to the reasons?) the rest of us locals had to suffer the consequences. I do feel that driving through Bermondsey Street should be controlled with 20 mph enforced.
Friday 21 December 2007 4.46pm
Jerry wrote:
ADT hit the nail on the head for you jh. The traffic has to go somewhere else.

Not necessarily - this assumes that all drivers have no alternative to driving and this just isn't the case: make it safer to cycle & nicer to walk and some drivers (obviously not all) will be tempted out of their cars - and this means that overall volumes will drop. Otherwise how do cities like Bologna or Copenhagen, who have banned cars in large areas of the central city, continue to function?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions