London SE1 community website

Joe's Kitchen - AWFUL

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 7 November 2007 9.35am
I've been to Joe's a couple of times, and found them quite good. Had a very disappointing smoothie that appeared to be mainly water, but the food has always been hot and comes in generous portions.

My only quibble is with the opening hours. I haven't checked recently, but last time I went it was only open 10am-2pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Does anyone know why it has such short weekend opening hours? Sometimes it's nicer to go out for brunch/lunch a little later.
Wednesday 7 November 2007 10.04am
Probably not as up-market as Joe's, but in addition to Terry's Cafe in Great Suffolk Street, there's also the Giggling Sausage, which is open Saturday mornings (but not Sunday). The coffee's rubbish, but it's quite an authentic greasy spoon. And the place is decorated with giggling plastic sausages. Pure class.
Wednesday 7 November 2007 4.54pm
actually the food at the sausage is better than terry's and the atmosphere less intimidating...i felt like an extra in "the krays" the last time i was in terry's and the attitudes of customers and staff are very suspect politically...agree with the comments regarding joes kitchen smoothies, they use ice which dilutes them to a watery mess
roy
Friday 9 November 2007 9.01pm
I know what you mean BoroughPaul but I think Terrys Cafe is a good old fashioned cafe. Being a gayer of colour it was a bit disconcerting when the millwall fans came in with the family last time me and my partner was there but although they were gregarious they were perfectly respectful - although deffo felt like an extra in the krays.
Sunday 11 November 2007 6.16pm
Well, we go there on a regular basis (Sundays brunch, mostly) and it's been good on the whole. We do eat out fairly often and it's no better/ worse than other places (in the long run). The orange juice has been slightly watered down on occasion (prob due to ice). If something's cold or overdone/ underdone, ask for a replacement. With a smile. I suspect the key is the atmosphere. If it's not your scene, you probably will end up whingeing about the food... It really isn't any worse (on average) than any other eatery. Oh, and we like the Giggling Sausage too.

NickH
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions