London SE1 community website

Morning traffic jam nightmare - Grange Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 22 November 2007 6.24pm
Dare I say it again, but the bus lane at the end of Grange Road worsens an already bad situation. The traffic before CC charge introduction often got bad but the two lanes at the end of Grange Road soon got traffic moving. The introduction of a 7 day bus lane of approx hundred yards long, (oh and 7 days ?? why?), screwed things up, especially for the 78 bus which now sits way back from the lights in a traffic jam caused by a bus lane it doesn't even use as it turns right at the lights! I've written to TFL but got no joy and am very unimpressed by the standard of staff employed at our expense in the traffic management departments of London. Anyone out there listening?
Thursday 22 November 2007 7.38pm
Poor Grange Road.

We have just had a 20 mph limit put in place, anybody noticed any reduction in vehicle speeds?

Pages walk junction has been remodelled, vehicles larger than a van have a three point right turn, and I suspect that the remodelled junction causes an obstruction for buses to enter the bus lane.

Willow Walk/Pages Walk is a rat run, is there a case for cutting this off, what effect this might have I don't know, although it would speed up West bound traffic.

TFL have paid Southwark to make Grange Road a Bus priority Route, Southwark have screwed up so badly that you stop and load on the northern side of the narrowest part of Grange Road where it meets TBR, and the parking attendants are few and far between. Bunged up buses do little for speedy travel.

I don't think traffic flows have increased dramatically in the last few weeks, although the westbound morning jam has dragged on a bit, maybe TFL have re phased the lights with TBR.

The Bus lane is not a TFL Bus Lane, its' a Southwark invention, absolutely quite worthless and needs a major rethink for vehicles, pedestrians and cycles alike, its' got no camera and has no real value.

Grange Road is a mess, needs commitment and a major rethink, meanwhile Skelly, Manchester and Capstick aren't out there.

Bill
Friday 23 November 2007 1.25pm
newcrossgate wrote:
Personally I much prefer Zebra Crossings - I feel safer and dont have to wait as long to cross - the Pelicans can take ages for the Green Man to light up

Agreed - and this will presumably snarl the traffic even more.
Friday 23 November 2007 1.51pm
I gave up on the 78 several months ago. I had to leave home an hour before I started work (Liverpool Street). I now cycle and it takes me 10 mins. If I walk it takes me 35 mins. It's basically because TBR is the only bridge that's outside the CC zone, so everyone uses it in rush hour.
Friday 23 November 2007 6.59pm
Bill.O wrote:
Poor Grange Road.
Willow Walk/Pages Walk is a rat run, is there a case for cutting this off, what effect this might have I don't know, although it would speed up West bound traffic.

Bill

Why do the users of this forum, seem to have an obsession with cutting roads off to traffic. Whilst this may be a rat run its is predominately indsustrial/commericaial what benefits would there be from cutting it off. surely that would just put even more traffic along grange road which has residential properties, a school, nursery and a health centre. How could that be a good move?
Monday 26 November 2007 8.37am
i think a lot of the problem is the phasing of the lights-i noticed over the week end that the lights seemed to change very quickly and only let a few cars out in comparison to how it was before. The silly bus lane does not help!
Monday 26 November 2007 10.27am
How about cycling to work? I cycle from Walworth Rd to Canary Wharf taking Tower Bridge Rd, and it takes me about 30 minutes. The equivalent journey on public transport takes between 40-50 and costs a lot more! And from Walworth Rd to Bishopsgate takes 20 minutes on the bike. The traffic on Tower Bridge Rd moves like treacle most mornings so for anyone commuting from SE1 in to the city using the 42 or 78 - stop being so lazy and get on your bike. You'll save calories, money and time!
Monday 26 November 2007 11.35am
how about stop telling people what to do! what a novelty!
Monday 26 November 2007 6.02pm
I think only Dee Dee has answered the original question. It is the phasing of the lights. I have noticed the long queues over the last week or so. When I've been at the lights TBR has often been clear but Grange Road blocked as far down as Spa Road. Only 3 or 4 vehicles can get through, none if people have jumped the lights going north and blocked the access. I agree the bus lane is a nonesense. I managed to help get phansing changed elsewhere, but it took ages (through TfL). But the general point is the whole Grange Road traffic situation is a mess and needs addressing.
Wednesday 12 December 2007 11.17am
I timed the lights letting traffic onto TBR from Grange Road. 7 seconds! Who does one contact to protest at the bus lane and the light phasing, is it TFL, or Southwark, and which department?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions