London SE1 community website

Scary, sinister helicopters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 29 November 2007 3.16pm
That explains it then.

Gordon Brown did pop round ours to listen to the Archers, but I lent him a portable radio and told him to stand outside and never darken our doorstep again. (I might not like him, but it would be inhuman to deny anyone the chance to catch up on how Alistair's father's leg is mending, or Clarrie's baking for the Christmas Fair). One of his aides returned the radio at 7:15, coinciding with the choppers stoping circling and flying away.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 2 December 2007 3.08pm
Over the past few months I have noticed several flypasts by these choppers. They're not the Queen, she gets flown around in a pretty standard helecopter.

We once had a convoy of them depositing Bill Clinton in Hyde Park, so they're often used for serious stuff.

They are darn annoying though!
Monday 3 December 2007 10.50am
They're buzzing around again this morning - what I don't understand is the need to circle constantly.
Monday 3 December 2007 1.12pm
I can see them from my office circling over Borough. Has anyone done anything they shouldn't?
Tuesday 4 December 2007 10.17am
well I think it's pretty disgracefull that these really noisy things can just carry on with no thought about how disturbing they are to us underneath!
I also had no choice but to listen. They even drown out the cd or tv with closed double glazing.
argh.
I thought the one I saw looked like a chanook too, it was going in circles around borough high street towards the tate, round and back again for well over half an hour last month, in the same week.
my cat was disturbed by it too, so I hate to think how the poor animals outside fared.
Tuesday 4 December 2007 8.59pm
Call me cynical but i believe it's the government trying to keep us vaguely scared of "the terrorist threat" while they chip away at our civil liberties. I really don't see the need for a whacking great military helicopter circling over central london - after all, who's paying for it? Come on Ken, say something.
Tuesday 4 December 2007 9.13pm
harry yanos wrote:
Call me cynical but i believe it's the government trying to keep us vaguely scared of "the terrorist threat" while they chip away at our civil liberties. I really don't see the need for a whacking great military helicopter circling over central london - after all, who's paying for it? Come on Ken, say something.

Conspiracy theorist?

There have been military barracks in London ever since there was a London! Their personnel and equipment have always been moved around, it just seems that now people are more anti-military than they used to be and are unable to see such day to day activity without also seeing a sinister ulterior motive.

I blame the Internet.
Wednesday 5 December 2007 9.33am
Jonathan K wrote:
Conspiracy theorist?
There have been military barracks in London ever since there was a London! Their personnel and equipment have always been moved around, it just seems that now people are more anti-military than they used to be and are unable to see such day to day activity without also seeing a sinister ulterior motive.
If you'd read the thread, you'd see that the objection was to constant/repeated circling over residential areas. Which would NOT be anything to do with moving troops from place to place, would it?

Wednesday 5 December 2007 9.55am
And if you read my reply you could plainly see I was addressing harry yanos's post!

Get up on the wrong side of bed this morning love?

xx

See? I can do patronising too.
Wednesday 5 December 2007 10.17am
That'd be Harry's thread that you quote, talking specifically about "helicopters circling" (i.e. NOT helicopters going from one place to another)would it?

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions