London SE1 community website

Scary, sinister helicopters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Monday 17 December 2007 4.44pm
You've answered your own, albeit retorical question in so much as that's how the 'puff' barons can afford to live by the riverside
Monday 17 December 2007 5.13pm
Excellent! Now all we need is for them to advertise.

...if you press it, they will come.
jh
Tuesday 18 December 2007 9.07am
des res skunk available here....has a certain ring to it....couldn't be any louder than the damn helicopters
Thursday 20 December 2007 11.37am
I believe the main route through London for that sort of air traffic follows the river - it's an easy landmark for the pilots and makes sure they're all taking the same sort of corridor (this info is based on something a helicopter pilot I chatted to once so take it with a pinch of salt).

No idea why they'd hover!
Thursday 20 December 2007 12.38pm
CiaranMc -Basically you are correct, single engined aircraft are expected to folow the path of the river, thus making "ditching" easier and less dangerous than flying over houses offices etc. Helicopters, whils't most have a single engine have a secondry mode of motion - IE by feathering the blades they can continue on a sort of controlled descent (something like the old gyrocopeters in the 20'' & 30's)
Monday 24 December 2007 10.42am
Chinooks are twin engined....
Monday 24 December 2007 11.11am
Mr H, I was of course referring to the Police Helicopters, not the Army ones - which incidently I used to watch land in the barracks in Petty France.
Thursday 3 January 2008 12.25pm
All police helicopters are twin-engined, as are many private ones, and so can fly anywhere over built-up areas without restriction.

BTW the engine-off descent in a helicopter is called "auto-rotation"
Thursday 3 January 2008 12.40pm
They were at it last night, circling near my place at around 2 am.
Tuesday 20 May 2008 10.30pm
Has any noticed an increase in the number of helicopters buzzing around again? It's like a live encyclopedia of helicopters - there have been at least 5 different types today including the ever present chinooks. There was a weird episode yesterday with a helicopter chasing a plane - it looked like some sort of film stunt. Anyone with a helicopter fetish must be in permanent ecstasy.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions