London SE1 community website

Zipcar or Streetcar?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
E&P
Thursday 13 March 2008 6.10pm
There is also City car club who we use and have been very impressed with- a very nice new Hybrid car. For renting of parking spaces to them, I have heard of around 50 a month.
Tuesday 18 March 2008 3.46pm
Car club cars in SE1 at-a-glance:

http://www.carclubs.org.uk/?lid=25&pc=SE1

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 18 March 2008 4.20pm
I've used streetcar in the Southwark/London Bridge/Mansion House area. I have to say they're very handy in theory but it seems they're never available when you need them and something goes wrong every time I try to use one. Maybe it's just me.
Wednesday 26 March 2008 11.12am
reece wrote:
I've used streetcar in the Southwark/London Bridge/Mansion House area. I have to say they're very handy in theory but it seems they're never available when you need them and something goes wrong every time I try to use one. Maybe it's just me.

I think you've just been unlucky. I've been a member of Streetcar for over 3 years and have never had a single problem. It has been ideal for me and have sold my car to use them instead. Not sure about the other clubs but I know Streetcar have many more cars than the others.
Monday 18 August 2008 2.01pm
Has anybody used Zipcar? I've been searching previous posts but there doesn't seem to be anyone who has used Zipcar for any period of time? I only need to do a short trip once a month or so would Zipcar be a good choice around se1?
Monday 18 August 2008 3.01pm
I am a member of ZipCar (in San Francisco), but I haven't used it here yet. I was very happy with them there. If you travel to the US or Canada you can use the card there too (at least I assume so--I can use my SF one here). I have seen a lot of locations around the London Bridge area. Their office is on Borough High Street.
Monday 18 August 2008 3.25pm
Thanks Laphroaig. I live on kipling street so can pick one up practically outside my door. Think i will give them a go.
Zoe
Monday 18 August 2008 7.56pm
Better Bankside are working with Zipcar and offering free membership. I don't know if this means zipcar are any good, but it will save a bit of cash:

https://zipcar.co.uk/london/apply/signup?group%5fid=104655777&plan%5fkey=z2b%5flarge%5fsite
jw
Monday 18 August 2008 9.34pm
Reese - I have had the same problems as you. In theory Streetcar are great, and the people at the end of the phone are always very lovely and helpful, but nearly every time I have hired a car, something has gone wrong.
Wednesday 20 August 2008 10.02am
We were members of Streetcar and it was easy enough to use but the mileage allowance is not very high at all - we drove to Wales for a weekend and ended up paying a fortune for the extra mileage. It worked out more expensive than simply hiring a car and paying for petrol would have been, and it was only minimally easier. Wales really isn't that far, so if you're planning on making a long trip, make sure you're aware that you'll be paying for lots of extra miles.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions