London SE1 community website

Zipcar or Streetcar?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Thursday 28 January 2010 9.13am
Hi Ccette - are the damages not covered by insurance?
Thursday 28 January 2010 11.39am
CCette wrote:
Well.. definitly NOT Streetcar and probably not any car club, here is what happened:
I have been a member of Streetcar for 6 months until this week. It's all nice and easy until...

You receive an e-mail stating there was a damage to the car after you left it.

I am being charged 860 pounds for a significant damage which was not on the car when I left it. Customer Services Team is useless, you can never speak to a Manager, they never call you back when you ask them to. They don't care anyway as they just take the money from your credit card !

Many more customers have suffered unjustified charges! be careful for 860 pounds you can buy a second hand car.

Do not subscribe ! it could become the most expensive trip ever !!
I myself and another poster on this forum have suffered the same ordeal. I paid just over 300. I exchanged phone calls as well as emails with Streetcar, but to no avail. I see a pattern developing here: there is obviously a flaw in there "damage policy". On a different occasion, a while before this happened, I returned the car but couldn't access the parking lot because the user of the other streetcar forgot to put the key back. I called Streetcar and they told me to leave the car on the pavement. They subsequently wanted me to pay the (substantial) parking fine. On that occasion I could prove I'd called and had left the car there on their instruction, but I couldn't help thinking they were somehow trying to get their money back. I have never used zipcar, but I highly recommend AGAINST streetcar.
Thursday 28 January 2010 12.17pm
Ouch! These stories don't sound good. Certainly don't want to be getting stung for damage or parking fines that weren't your fault.

Do take a look at the compare costs page of my website www.carclublondon.co.uk which quickly shows you the different insurance excess for each car club - and options to reduce the excess.

This might help you choose your preferred car club operator.

Hope this helps. Look forward to reading the continued discussion on this.
Wednesday 3 February 2010 7.27pm
Hi Ccette here, to respond to earlier question - we did not take the insurance since we do not use the car often, we did not think that made any sense to the so-called cheap deal. So in that case No.

The matter has now been settled. It's a shame as this was a handy service but I could not stand the fact that I was being treated like a criminal. I hope this will never happen to anyone else as it took my husband and I 3 days to recover from the trauma.
Wednesday 21 April 2010 7.53am
I got an email from Streetcar this morning indicating that they are merging with Zipcar. More details here:

http://zipcar.co.uk/welcome/
Friday 30 April 2010 4.03pm
Hello Mutton,

You're absolutely right. Zipcar have acquired Streetcar in a deal thought to be worth around $50. I've written a little article about it on my website with some of the basic details.

That just leaves 3 car club operators in the UK - City Car Club, Connect by Hertz and Zipcar.

I've also amended the cost comparison table on www.carclublondon.co.uk which allows you to see a snap-shot of the different pricing of the three car clubs (table looks a lot neater now!).

Be interesting to see how these industry changes pan out. No doubt this discussion topic will continue...
Saturday 1 May 2010 1.50am
comparethecarclub.com wrote:
Zipcar have acquired Streetcar in a deal thought to be worth around $50.

$50? They won't be able to fill a tank with that...
Saturday 1 May 2010 9.25am
Thanks for pointing out the little omission in my post! To avoid any doubt, it was a deal estimated to be worth $50m (fifty million US dollars).

With the cost of fuel at the moment, it still won't fill that many tanks...
Friday 28 May 2010 10.03pm
I'm a member of both and was pretty disappointed to hear of the merger as always preferred Street Car - cleaner cars, better cars, newer cars, less problems such as low fuel.

Still, it has been useful to have memberships both purely for the number of vehicles to choose from.

I have a referral code for Streetcar which gives new members 30 free driving credit [and me 10 :) ]

www.streetcar.co.uk/join
Monday 22 August 2011 5.12pm
my feedback is Streetcar use to be good, but since they've tide up with zipcar it's been significantly down hill more discussions on this at [email protected]
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions