London SE1 community website

Info on The Cut needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 11 December 2007 12.20pm
If you look on old maps i think you find the Cut was one of the few routes across the marshland away from the river. I had always thought it was "cut" as in short cut. If I can find the references I will post them.
Tuesday 11 December 2007 12.41pm
I always thought it was a spelling mistake.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 11 December 2007 1.31pm
Indeed, in the book "Southwark: an illustrated history" there are two maps, one from 1769 with just fields and another one from 1797 where "New Cut" has appeared as a continuation of Lambeth (later Lower) Marsh up until Broadwall. From Broadwall it is Charlotte Street that continues over Blackfriars Road, this bit became later Union Street.

Here we learn how the market bit expanded:

http://www.lower-marsh.co.uk/market.html

"Lower Marsh and The Cut formed the commercial heart of the area from the early 19th century. The street market then established has operated almost continuously since this time. At its peak, the market stretched from Blackfriars to Vauxhall."

More here:

http://www.vauxhallsociety.org.uk/LambethWalk.html

"Mary Benedetta, in her book Street Markets of London, published in 1936, draws a less rosy picture of Lambeth Walk market. She says that Lambeth Walk market, although historically interesting, was a poor kind of street market, rather like the New Cut, which she describes thus:

-a tiny ramshackle stall filled with dusty tins of boot polish, strong packs of laces and a few stale pieces of soap; on guard was a very young woman with a pram and a baby each side of her. Her face was deathly pale underneath it's coating of grime.
-a fish stall reeking horribly, with nothing but three pieces of dogfish laid on the boards. A man dusted off the fish with an oil-stained rag.
-a vegetable stall with bananas half-opened to show how good they were to eat .
-china cups at a penny, but with no saucers.
-goats' milk and live eels.
-home-made wines by the glass; cordials at 1d and 2d per glass
The people looked half starved.
"

So it was not a glamourous bit of the market... and the name seemed to have been "New Cut" from the beginning and log before any market activity so I was wrong there. I wonder when it stopped being New and became only "The Cut"?

About the photo, only thing that seems wrong there is that the building I presumed to be the Windmill pub seems white whereas the present pub is red brick... maybe it was rebuilt at some point.
Tuesday 11 December 2007 4.23pm
Lot of interesting info here, thankyou!
Monday 17 December 2007 4.51pm
If you are referring to the "cut" as a market When I was a kid back in the early 60's the Market ran from Westminster Bridge road, across Waterloo Rd and down to Black friars bridge road. There used to be stalls on both sides of the road and of course by the Young Vic there used to be Cooks Pie and Mash shop.

In fact Tower bridge road used to be just like that - although there were never any stalls on the east side - only on the west. The stalls used to riun from the Bricklayers arms junction right up to St Marys Church yard - and I'm talking about 6 days a week.
Zoe
Tuesday 18 December 2007 8.58pm
Wouldn't it be lovely if we had all those stalls still, I'd love The Cut to be a big market again. We could be the new Camden!
Saturday 5 January 2008 9.59pm
Just noticed this book review in today's Guardian:

Quote:
London in the 19th Century: A Human Awful Wonder of God, by Jerry White (Vintage, 10.99)
This is so powerful and overwhelming a history of 19th-century London that I finished it thrilled but really rattled. It's both specific to district (New Cut market south of the Thames with naphtha flares glaring over coster stalls) and God's own overview of the place of the metropolis in the life of the nation...

http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2235379,00.html

Goes straight to my shopping list!!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions