London SE1 community website

Begging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Monday 17 December 2007 4.01pm
se1sam. private charity should be different from public policy, else it should be legal for a beggar to wander into your home on the grounds that he deserves your sympathy. The wider interest is that public spaces should be pleasant and a source of pride and that kind people should enact their kindness without requiring public squalor.
mro
Monday 17 December 2007 5.41pm
cholmondeley wrote:
Having beggars around our national icons does present a certain image of Britain to the rest of the world.

If image is all that matters, we'll forget for once that entire sections of England's population actually live in third world conditions... which may also give a certain image of Britain for people who are interested in more than national icons.

This being said, I have little sympathy for street beggars myself and all my donations go to well established charities.
Monday 17 December 2007 5.58pm
mro wrote:
entire sections of England's population actually live in third world conditions
That's a pc myth. There's no comparison.
Monday 17 December 2007 6.03pm
cholmondeley wrote:
se1sam. private charity should be different from public policy, else it should be legal for a beggar to wander into your home on the grounds that he deserves your sympathy.
Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt, or if in my stupidity I'm missing something obvious, but I don't see any logical connection here at all.
cholmondeley wrote:
The wider interest is that public spaces should be pleasant and a source of pride and that kind people should enact their kindness without requiring public squalor.
Erm, I think that's probably just YOUR interpretation of the wider interest. Some (weirdos, no doubt) may suggest that the wider interest of society might be that everyone has a fair chance to find themselves a life which doesn't mean they are living in "squalor".
...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 17 December 2007 6.14pm
Ivanhoe, the issue is should begging be tolerated around SE1, especially round London Bridge and tourist areas? That should help you.

Presumably the rest of your message is "probably just YOUR interpretation of the wider interest" tho you don't say so...and why should you since it's obvious that all opinion belongs to the writer ? Would you have every sentence begin 'I think that..' ?
jh
Tuesday 18 December 2007 9.16am
indeed I agree but simply the best way to help these people is through established charities like centrepoint and shelter....and whilst for some it is very very difficult to get them off the street for the vast majority it is by far the best way....so a soloution to both problems....give to those charaties, no need for them to use chuggers and reduce begging....all in 1 idealistic fell swoop...

the soup kitchen/shelter in Melior Street attracts so many beggars to the area, not unlike many main-line stations to be fair, but the London Bridge area does seem to have above its fair share of beggars
Tuesday 18 December 2007 10.37am
I bet the cleaners who are on a basic wage of 7.20 at the Tate Modern would be glad of earning 12.00 an hour like people collecting for charity..
Tuesday 18 December 2007 11.12am
Jan the old one wrote:
I bet the cleaners who are on a basic wage of 7.20 at the Tate Modern would be glad of earning 12.00 an hour like people collecting for charity..

Jan - they're actually looking for an increase to bring them up to 7.20 per hour!
Tuesday 18 December 2007 12.46pm
oh my..that's terrible, how can you feed yourself on less than that a week and pay all your bills? whether it's a skilled job or not in some peoples eyes at least they are getting up in the morning to go to work and not expecting money to drop in their laps from benefits...
jh
Tuesday 18 December 2007 1.36pm
they could always go somewhere else....if its that bad then protest properly....go elsewhere....or is that the going rate....which is rubbish...but no good moaning all the time and not doing anything about it....but then we'd all have to pay more in tax to fund the tate....where does it all end....there is no such thing as a free lunch...it all has to be paid for...even if you're on...or may be on...7.20

as far as i'm concerned i pay far tooooooooo much tax as it is and get very little back for it....so therefore there must be a lot of people taking more out than they put in...but this will end up on a completley different thread so i'll shut up now....
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions