London SE1 community website

Begging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Saturday 22 December 2007 1.02am
JACKIE

BEGGING IS ILLEGAL, AND SHOULD BE ENFORCED BY COMMUNITY WARDENS AND THE POLICE, iT'S JUST THAT THE WARDENS DO NOTHING ABOUT IT, SO THAT IS WHY WE HAVE SO MANY AT THE E&C, I HAVE SPOKEN MANY TIMES TO THE POLICE ABOUT IT, BUT OBVIOUSLY THEY HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO, SO IT SHOULD BE DEALT WITH BY THE WARDENS IF YOU WANT TO DO ANYTHING YOU NEED TO COMPLAIN TO SOUTHWARK COUNCIL WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THE WARDENS OR CONTACT YOUR LOCAL COUNCILLORS ABOUT IT,

JANET YATAK
mro
Saturday 22 December 2007 6.17am
and again, out of the many things that should make you ashamed of your country, beggars near Tower Bridge is probably very low on the list in my book.

by the way, what do you think of the low quality architecture already built and currently planned next to your world class icon? I'm talking about the horrible bunker hotel facing the tower of london and the upcoming berkeley home development

Most public places in the world outside of fascist countries have beggars. Always have had and always will have. Nobody is going to think less of England because of this, outside a few peculiarly minded people. Many countries in the world tend to make exceptions to the principle of maximum profit in the shortest timespan when it genuinely matters. England is clearly a shameful exception.
Saturday 22 December 2007 8.11am
Thanks Janet for the only reply I was looking for when I opened this thread and caused such a furore...
Saturday 22 December 2007 12.05pm
Janet...

Saturday 22 December 2007 1.11pm
"Most public places in the world outside of fascist countries have beggars. Always have had and always will have. Nobody is going to think less of England because of this, outside a few peculiarly minded people."

No ... at random from my recent experience: Brooklyn Bridge, Notre Dame, Time Square, Tokyo. Gosh, this issue does seem to rouse the ranters.
jh
Monday 24 December 2007 8.35am
Can I just ask a really simple question....which may have a rather complicated answer...but anyway here goes

For those of you who want the Police or Community Wardends to do "something" what exactly is it you want them to? Please bear in mind these people may not have addresses, money, diaries food or mental stability. So what exactly do want them to really do?
Monday 24 December 2007 1.40pm
I'm in accord with jh on that one. So, you contact your local councillors / Southwark Council (both of whom are no doubt aware of the begging / street homelessness problem) and.... then what?
Monday 24 December 2007 3.05pm
jh wrote:
Can I just ask a really simple question....which may have a rather complicated answer...but anyway here goes
For those of you who want the Police or Community Wardends to do "something" what exactly is it you want them to? Please bear in mind these people may not have addresses, money, diaries food or mental stability. So what exactly do want them to really do?
As a broad outline: The mentally ill should be in institutions, the foreigners should be expelled, the workshy should not be allowed begging as an out. That would be serious start. Then there is the grey area of depressed, demoralised and/or addicted. I suspect there would be more charity to them were the other groups seen to be filtered out. One cannot solve all the problems of the world. I'd guess that they'd be best helped by being offered forms of civil national service as a way back to self-respect.
You may like or dislike this approach, but it's only prescriptive in the sense of forbidding private misery to manifest itself as public squalor. Regardless of whether we'd agree on solutions, I start from the point that squalor breeds squalor, begging breeds begging, tolerance of anti-social behaviour breeds begging, squalor, crime, apathy and finally a backlash which is far more prescriptive.
Monday 24 December 2007 7.35pm
and Tiny Tim? What should 'appen to 'im, Guvnor?

How wonderful that SE1 has embraced the Pantomime season, this has to be an excerpt from Dickens's A Christmas Carol? Ha ha, great that you entered into the spirit! Let's hope the ghost of Christmas past doesn't visit tonight Cholmondeley....
Monday 24 December 2007 7.56pm
Which bit do you disagree with? What's your counter? Sarcasm isn't a policy. I suggest you read A Christmas Carol to see how inept your sarcasm is.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions