London SE1 community website

Begging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Tuesday 25 December 2007 12.02am
No sarcasm intended. Take yourself lightly!

Happy Christmas
Tuesday 25 December 2007 2.52am
God bless us every one!
Wednesday 26 December 2007 7.06pm
cholmondeley I do truly agree with you. That is why, as I said at the opening of this thread, if I saw any attempt by the gang who populate our underpasses at the E&C to even TRY and make a difference to the amount of litter that floats about there, instead of just sitting there and adding to it, I'd be more sympathetic. I always give to street musicians, they're DOING something. But as cholmondely says, begging instead of working is reprehensible, and there are enough opportunities for these people to take advantage of the hostels and homeless charities, OR to find some work, however humble. I always greet, and thank, the street cleaners and tell them what a great job they're doing. Dont tell me you need a PhD. to do that job.
Saturday 29 December 2007 1.32pm
No, you don't need a PhD. You need a home. Really tough to get a job if you haven't get a home. And guess what? If you haven't got a job, it's not a walk in the park getting a home. And you will find it tough to get a job or a home if you're bipolar, schizophrenic, clinically depressed, an alcoholic or drug addict, or, if that's not enough, just obviously less suited to the demands of living than most of us.

For all the intelligent and well-intentioned polemicists out there, for all the smart words and middle-class defensiveness and sensitivity, this debate should not be about you. Or me. It's about them. And if you can differentiate between the career beggars and the seriously damaged then well done.

I'm not sure I want to make that call.
Saturday 29 December 2007 4.39pm
Well written KM. I've been waiting for someone to put into words how I feel in this debate. It shocks me to think there are those who put bricks and mortar over and above the value of people less fortunate than them.

Shame on you.
Saturday 29 December 2007 5.17pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Well written KM. I've been waiting for someone to put into words how I feel in this debate. It shocks me to think there are those who put bricks and mortar over and above the value of people less fortunate than them.
Shame on you.

Happy to take that. Your policy is what...witter? Reward anti-social behaviour? Apply elastoplast? Force others to pay tax to fund your opinion of your own conscience?
Sunday 30 December 2007 3.35pm
cholmondeley wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:
Shame on you.

Happy to take that. Your policy is what...witter? Reward anti-social behaviour? Apply elastoplast? Force others to pay tax to fund your opinion of your own conscience?

so cholmondeley it would appear you class being homeless as anti social behaviour! How very compassionate.
Sunday 30 December 2007 4.17pm
Let not ambition mock their use(less)ful toil,
Their homely joys and destiny obscure,
Nor grandeur hear with a disdainful smile,
The short and simple annals of the poor.

Here rests his head upon the lap of earth,
A youth, to fortune and to fame unknown;
Fair science frown'd not on his humble birth,
And melancholy mark'd him for her own.
Sunday 30 December 2007 4.43pm
Coffee wrote:
cholmondeley wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:
Shame on you.

so cholmondeley it would appear you class being homeless as anti social behaviour! How very compassionate.
This thread is called 'Begging' and, yes, begging is anti-social. Nor am I motivated to appear compassionate.

As nobody here 'mocks toil' I don't get the point of phoney's quote.
Sunday 30 December 2007 5.33pm
I suggest begging must be the most soul destroying toil imaginable. All that abuse, boredom and discomfort they must endure. I think crime would be preferable to begging.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions