London SE1 community website

Begging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8
Sunday 30 December 2007 6.33pm
phoney wrote:
I suggest begging must be the most soul destroying toil imaginable. All that abuse, boredom and discomfort they must endure. I think crime would be preferable to begging.
Pure Monty Python. I think I'll check out now, twirling my moustache.
Monday 31 December 2007 8.59am
"Reward anti-social behaviour?", you say Chumley. If you'll excuse another witter...

Some reward: a couple of coins every now and then, working on your arthritis most nights, ignored, friendless, no loving relationship to speak of, risk a beating from thugs, die young looking very old indeed. All that and you get people spending hours on their expensive laptops talking about you, even though they have never spoken to you, don't know your name and would rather they didn't have to step around you every day because, well, you're inconvenient.

Bliss.
Monday 31 December 2007 12.51pm
I'm trying the "Look,I'm a local and get fed up being asked to give money every time that I leave home" method.This is true,and I often have an apology,which then makes me feel vaguely guilty for having said this to a poor wretch who is inevitably wrapped in a blanket ,even in the height of summer. There are 'professional' beggars..I overheard a group of youngsters on the train coming into Waterloo who were working out where they were to position themselves around the bridge.
Chuggers are invariably pleasant youngsters,but can become persistent.Although I told one young man that I really couldn't afford to sponsor anything else he kept telling me that it only worked out at 16p a day and that surely I could afford that? I will now cross the road if I see one looming on the horizon !
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions