London SE1 community website

Good and bad customer service in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 11 of 12
Thursday 23 October 2008 7.46am
Auntie Pat is correct when she describes Ken's shop in Abbey Street. They should clone him. The middle aged lady who used to work in T.B.Road chemist was a surly arrogant pig. I dont go in there any more so don't know if she still reigns!
Thursday 23 October 2008 8.21pm
Jan the old one
The middle aged lady is now an old lady and she is still working there.she can be arrogant,but if you know her she is a very lovely lady i`m getting a blow kiss from her every morning.
Thursday 23 October 2008 9.17pm
I must say its always a pleasure to be served in Sainsburys BHS.They are always very friendly and welcoming.
Thursday 23 October 2008 10.43pm
Friendly perhaps, but it feels rather forced and artificial. Still, streets ahead of the useless staff at Tesco on Long Lane. They need to sort themselves out.
Saturday 6 December 2008 1.33pm
Oh no! The depressed miseryguts from the window on the far right at the old Borough High Street Post Office is still in work! She now works at the Walworth Road branch, where she has an even worse colleague who adds rudeness to the cocktail of poor customer service skills.

this woman's eenness to get away from work in the last 15 mins before closing, she told one frail customer to "hurry up" as he walked to her window. When another woman asked a question about a form, she told the customer to "use your common sense". When this customer responded basically telling her to get some manners, the employee said she is not here to be verbally abused.

Joyfully, about 3 other customers, including me, pointed out that it was she not the customer who had been rude.
Saturday 6 December 2008 3.56pm
Good: Starbucks near The Clink (I know, it's terrible that I go there), Cafe Nawaz, Tabard barbers, El Vergel, Waterloo Wines, Nelson's.

Bad: just about everyone who works at Tate Modern; Ryman on Borough High St, Boots at Hays Galleria, del'Aziz.

VERY variable: Monmouth Coffee, Riverside bookshop, Amano.
Saturday 6 December 2008 7.49pm
I agree about Tescos in Long Lane. I used to be critical of Sainsburys in Borough High St but it's now a pleasure to go to after the unfriendly atmosphere at Tescos. What is the matter there? I admit I go sometimes for essentials but always come out feeling I should have made the effort to go somewhere else!
Saturday 6 December 2008 11.46pm
Rymans on Borough High St. must be variable - Longlaner's found them bad, I've had very good, helpful service. Ordered stuff on Thursday, told it would be in this coming Monday, had a call yesterday to say it had arrived and was ready for collection whenever I found it convenient to drop in. Went in today, the weekend staff were equally good and cheerful. I'll use them again.
Sunday 7 December 2008 12.30am
aoibhneas wrote:
Rymans on Borough High St. must be variable - Longlaner's found them bad, I've had very good, helpful service. Ordered stuff on Thursday, told it would be in this coming Monday, had a call yesterday to say it had arrived and was ready for collection whenever I found it convenient to drop in. Went in today, the weekend staff were equally good and cheerful. I'll use them again.

Only been in a couple of times, but a very helpful Polish lady sorted me out with a fine shredder last time I was in. Better service than most in my experience.

With regard to other recent mentions, the Tesco on Long Lane is just nasty, Sainsburys on BHS is good. The staff seem happier to work there.
Wednesday 31 December 2008 12.51pm
Two items from yesterday:

1) Canteen, late lunchtime

Ordered promptly, could see bottle of wine waiting on bar for more than quarter of an hour. Asked two staff where our wine was and was assured that they'd chase it up.

Wine arrived after main courses, without apology.

Had the wine arrived earlier, we would almost certainly have had a second bottle. Their loss.

Coffee took 25 minutes to arrive at end of meal.

I can confirm that the 12.5% service charge is, indeed, optional.

2) PC World, OKR (I know it's not SE1, but it's not far away and I could do with a rant)

I know not to expect good customer service here, but I wanted to buy a new toy and it was on display for a good price.

In order to get customer service there, you had to get a numbered ticket. After waiting 20 minutes, was told that the item I wanted was out of stock. There was no indication in advance, and no way to check before the wait. The "salesman" did not offer to order it for me, or find another branch which did have it, or try to sell me an alternative.

During the wait, I'd found some other stuff I was willing to buy at their prices. I didn't. When I pointed out that their customer service had wasted my time and lost them business then and in future, they simply said that that was their system and acted as though I was mad to expect them to respect their customers' time.

I thought there was meant to be a consumer recession going on. Why do these businesses work so hard to turn business away?
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 11 of 12

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions