London SE1 community website

Good and bad customer service in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 12
Wednesday 2 January 2008 2.01pm
Tolstoy wrote:
I've always liked The Island Cafe as a place, but unfortunately cannot drink either their tea or coffee in there. It's pretty awful.
True. The main reason I go there is for the bacon rolls, which are much nicer than any other bacon rolls I've managed to get in the surrounding area.
Wednesday 2 January 2008 3.06pm
I always find it unbelievable when staff in any business can manage to get through an entire transaction without actually speaking to you or making eye contact, assuming that by nodding towards the chip and pin machine etc you are supposed to have worked the sub-total out yourself and decide when it's time to place your card in the reader.

The Boss,
SE1 Relocation Ltd
E: oliver@se1relocation.com
W: http://www.se1relocation.com
Wednesday 2 January 2008 6.36pm
I always think of this term when faced with ignorant check outs....Grunt and Shunt..they grunt then shunt the card holder around ( the machine not the customer!) If paying for cash it's just as bad, they assume that you can see the amount, when you ask how much is it, the looks you get is unbelievable, then your change is handed or rather dropped into your palm with the same enthusiasm as kissing Ken Livingstone would induce! It's been going on for years in Tescos this arrogance when they take your hard earned cash. I would love to be a secret shopper there. Surely the Managers must see whats going on?
Wednesday 2 January 2008 9.35pm
In Elephant & Castle Tesco I get quite frustrated with the fact that the staff ignore the customers and talk amongst themselves - admittedly they usually manage to achieve this WHILE serving people, but it's just plain discourteous.
Thursday 3 January 2008 11.14am
I completely echo the comments made about Asda and Tesco on the OKR, there's one particular guy (Maybe Iranian or Iraqi judging by his name tag) in Asda that's always really cheerful and does his utmost every time I go through the checkout.

Whereas in Tesco there is only 1 person on the checkouts that gets anywhere near to being polite.
Thursday 3 January 2008 11.52am
I think if i had to deal with many of the rude and arrogant customers i've seen in Tesco and Asda i would be miserable to say the least!
Thursday 3 January 2008 12.02pm
Dee dee, how do you explain the fact that the staff in OKR Asda are (on the whole) lovely while the staff in OKR Tesco are (on the whole) not, when their customer base (and ratio of decent customers to horrible ones) must be very similar?
Thursday 3 January 2008 12.36pm
I must admit i have only been in Asda a few times and i have never noticed that much difference to the Tesco staff in the OKR (indeed my sister had a very surly checkout lady in Asda a few weeks ago) but i have seen some very rude customers. I think on the whole most people are nice if you treat them as you would expect to be treated yourself-so next time you are in Tescos try smiling at the cashier and asking them how they are they may actually smile back!!
ADT
Thursday 3 January 2008 1.18pm
I tend to find that the Asda staff are nicer and more attentive than the Tesco staff. The last few times I have been in Tesco's they haven't even made eye contact, but preferred to gabble on to their next door neighbour, so smiling and talking to them had no effect.

Also, completely unrelated, but the car wash guys at Asda tend to provide good customer service - always cheerful and attentive.
Thursday 3 January 2008 2.52pm
dee dee wrote:
I think on the whole most people are nice if you treat them as you would expect to be treated yourself-so next time you are in Tescos try smiling at the cashier and asking them how they are they may actually smile back!!

Hear hear!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 12

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions