London SE1 community website

Good and bad customer service in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 12
ADT
Friday 4 January 2008 9.55am
I have had similar problems with SecureMail. They are useless at delvering anything. We also had a concern about their security - we had three cards with fraudulent use when they were the delivery company, one with fraud occurring before SecureMail had even managed to get the card to me! I have now found credit card companies/banks that are happy to use normal mail and/or deliver to a work address so avoid letting SM get anywhere near my cards.
Saturday 5 January 2008 7.23pm
Securemail - impossible to deal with!

Starbucks , Clink Street - lovely, friendly and long-term staff. Rubbish Starbucks coffee is compensated for by the great service.
Thursday 20 March 2008 2.30pm
Oooh why haven't I seen this thread before? Can I just mention the E&C Tesco Ghetto in the shopping centre for HORRENDOUS customer service.

I know it's a bit mad in there, but it's like a training school for the obnoxious. If you weren't in a bad mood when you went in, you will be when you leave!
Rarely have I encountered please or thank you, - often, in fact, no mention of the total cost of your shopping at all! just a blank stare, or a hand held out. Obviously I can lean over and read the price myself, but it's soooo rude.

Often the cashier is having a chat with someone else, which they seemingly can't interrupt to acknowledge customers. Now i'm not looking for obsequious grovelling service, - just everyday civility. Obviously, there are a couple of exceptions, (but literally two!)

Last week, two teenagers on adjacent tills were having a heated discussion about how someone else had gone for a break before their alloted time. The more aggrieved of the two, started commenting loudly and rudely at their colleague who'd taken the early break, who was at a nearby till. Then, when I butted in to ask how much my shopping was, (this time no outstretched hand, please, thank you, eye contact, or mention of the cost) he shot me a look of pure hatred and spat the price at me...
It's horrible. Horrible.
Trying to stay away from there except in dire emergencies.
Thursday 20 March 2008 3.12pm
Lila, try the self-checkouts - they are far more polite!
Thursday 20 March 2008 3.17pm
Having gritted my teeth through unspeakable rudeness and offhand service for several years now, I have sadly concluded that at Tesco Metro the level of customer service has a gender, age and racial divide.

A few individuals skew the formula, but when picking my till, I tend choose a cashier who is old and black, or young and white, or young and male, or old and female. The old white men and young black women are a last resort.
Thursday 20 March 2008 3.33pm
LilaSE1 wrote:
Oooh why haven't I seen this thread before? Can I just mention the E&C Tesco Ghetto in the shopping centre for HORRENDOUS customer service.
Lila,

Completely sympathise with you. My tactic in those situations is to do something else myself. Chat to a companion, read a till-side magazine, etc. I only make any move to pay AFTER the checkout person has told me how much the shopping is. If they gesture wordlessly at the till display, I might mirror their gesture (smiling all the while), otherwise I keep a blank face and just wait.

They generally get fed up with it before I do.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 25 March 2008 1.45pm
we were in Asda a couple of weeks ago and one of the young guys working in there was close to tears-the checkout lady explained that he had asked a customer if she needed any help packing and was told in response that "did she look as if she needed any f'ing help packing and if she would f'ing well tell him and till then he should F off and not be up her backside etc".

I was in Tesco's OKR last week and a woman was screaming abuse at staff in there for a good 1/2 hour till the police arrived.

i have said before that many of them have to put up with the nasty way customers behave so it is no wonder some of them are not so customer friendly-this should not be an excuse for bad manners mind you
Tuesday 25 March 2008 1.51pm
I always start first with a smile and a "hello". Usually, I get the same back, although it's a bit disheartening to be blanked. I'm told that eastern europeans will only smile if they really, really mean it!
Tuesday 25 March 2008 7.10pm
HSBC LONDON BRIDGE not just bad HORRENDOUS. They have nice people greeting you on he way in, but no service what so ever. Two service windows, usually only one working, where you are treated with total disdain after queing for 45 mins. Apparently it is the most complained about of all HSBC branchs in the country.
I complained once, Manager told me, the staff are not customer service people, but sales people! If it's your branch, as in my case you are advised of a three hour wait to speak to anyone, even to pick up a cheque book

Tas under the arches on Isabella st. Great location, terrible, petulant service in the bar and from manager
though some of the staff in the resturant good. When I told the manager there was a rat in the lady's, he shrugged at me and walked off. A friend had the same experience on seeing mice in the resturant. When I previulsy booked a friends birthday there, they could not be ruder. The Manager, during the day when I pooped in (it was empty) said he was too busy to make my reservation and come back another time. When I asked if I could leave my number, so he could call me later, he refused to take it down, shrugged and walked off!

Good
Borough Market Sausage boys, The Mountain Family
always lovely and give you good bargins at the end of the day.
Borough Post Office, despite everything cheery good service, London Bridge and especailly Blackfriars Bridge Road should take example from them.
The Young man who sells Blueberry cakes and Jams and Preserves at the back of Borough Market, always super friendly, also gives you bargains.
Tas on The Cut very friendly service. Noy anything like Isabella Street
The print/office shop on the cornor of Southwark bridge Road and Great Guildford Street, very friendly service.

Glad there is more good than bad though !!!
Tuesday 25 March 2008 8.11pm
Terri B wrote:
Tas under the arches on Isabella st....when I pooped in (it was empty)

Empty or not, pooping in a restaurant is a no-no.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 12

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions