London SE1 community website

Bangalore Express

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 25 February 2008 8.22pm
I agree. It is about time somebody did something with Emma Cons Gardens! I think it will also benefit the Waterloo Brasserie and the area in general. There was at one stage a problem with drunks / homeless people and that seems to have quietened down recently.

I also believe that if Mr Bourne could redevelop the whole area he may do but I don't think the council would look to favourably on it as it would cause major disruption for some time !
Saturday 1 March 2008 9.58am
If you're into reliving school dinners in a mass seating arrangement, you're after some cheap food (ours wasn't heated through) I suggest this is the place. Though the service was acceptable, we could hear the staff having a huge row in the kitchen. And you can never help thinking that when you're shortchanged on the bill that it might not have been an accident. Not recommended for anyone else.
Friday 21 March 2008 6.45pm
If anyone reading this forum just wants to know how good the restaurant is rather than who owns the building or who is writing the reviews, I for one highly recommend it!

I've been to Bangalore Express several times and I think it's fantastic (and before anyone starts trying to connect my name to it, I have nothing to do with the company other than also being a great fan of the Painted Heron and I used to go to the Kennington restaurant at least once a month until they unfortunately shut it). I think the service is great and I have found the waiters and waitresses to be very friendly.

The food is delicious (I highly recommend the lamb chops and the chicken biryani). It is also excellent value!

I was a bit dubious about the mix and match curry menu as I too saw the Gordon Ramsey program, but this menu is nothing like the one that featured on that show! At most Indian restaurants you choose whether you want a chciken, lamb or prawn masala or korma and this is the same thing really.

The bunk bed seats are fun (the restaurant on the Kings Rd that has them too is The Jam) but be careful if you're in a skirt and/or heels!

I can't wait til they start doing take-away if that is the plan-I don't see why it would lead to piles of rubbish-the take-aways from Thai Silk that used to be on that site didn't cause a problem!
Monday 24 March 2008 12.16am
ggreene wrote:
was blown away by the quality of ingredients used, the tenderness of the meat and the delicacy of the flavour. I have never experienced this type of cooking for the prices being charged

Ha ha!
Monday 24 March 2008 1.23am
Interesting how someone with no knowledge of the place would assume that they are going to go down the take away route??

Or I am being a bit too "conspiracy theorist" ???

Is that what all restaurants do?? Hmmmmmmm
Tuesday 25 March 2008 1.04pm
Simon, I note your comment "Interesting how someone with no knowledge of the place would assume that they are going to go down the take away route??

Or I am being a bit too "conspiracy theorist" ???"

If this is a reference to my post and my comment regarding take-aways, I only mentioned them in response to your post of 16 Feb at 12.04am saying that you have heard they are planned (how did you in fact hear that?!). I have no idea whether they are doing them or not and if you read my comment I say "I can't wait til they start doing take-away if that is the plan" (note the use of "if").

In response, yes I would say you're getting a bit too "conspiracy theorist"-great film, saw it again over the weekend but an Indian restaurant is hardly the same as the stuff Mel Gibson was uncovering in the film!
Monday 31 March 2008 5.47pm
Originally the green signs that they have outside said that take-aways were available, but after about a week or so they covered-up this bit of each sign with some green sticky-backed plastic to hide it. So perhaps they originally intended to offer take-aways, and then changed their minds? Maybe they don't make enough money unless they can sell you drinks too?
Monday 16 June 2008 10.42am
hannahs,

I totally agree with you. I only went for the first time yesterday for Father's Day and the menu was very simple and easy to use.

They've basically re-invented going for a curry and made it interesting. The food is delicious and the sevice was top notch. Besides, how can you go wrong when they serve up 4 pint pitchers of Cobra or Becks Vier!!!

130 for 6 people (That includes the 12.5% service charge) is pretty good going if you ask me.

Definitely going again, need to try out the other dishes.
Monday 16 June 2008 11.32am
Funny how MattyO and Hannahs have never made posts anywhere else on this site...
Monday 16 June 2008 4.29pm
MattyO wrote:
Besides, how can you go wrong when they serve up 4 pint pitchers of Cobra or Becks Vier!!!

Hmm. You can go quite badly wrong in a restaurant which does that, I'd have thought.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions