London SE1 community website

Bag thieves at Chopstix

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Monday 7 July 2008 2.47pm
The original post is from outside the UK and I haven't identified anything underhand going on.

Can we try to treat people as we would like to be treated if we'd had a bag stolen, please?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 7 July 2008 2.57pm
longlaner wrote:
I just think that someone who's been unfortunate enough to lose a bag in these cirumstances - and yes, some might call it carelessness - probably isn't going, given his or her feelings of frustration and disappointment, to relish being called bonkers.
I understand what you're saying, but the OP did then go on to say that the restaurant was in league with the thieves (which lost them sympathy with me, for one).

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 7 July 2008 9.26pm
I am the original poster and to respond to some of the comments:

There are many things the restaurant management can do to prevent this from happening:

1. Make people pay after they have eaten and not before eating. That way there is no free way to run out of the restaurant after picking a bag.
2. There are security cameras in the restaurant and they don't work! If they have any concern for customer service the first thing they need to do is to fix that
3. If such a thing had happened in the United States (where I live), there would be a TV station, radio station and newspaper reporter investigating the hell out of the issue to get to the bottom of it. Too bad, there ain't much private media in England competing for viewership and ratings.
4. It also speaks of the London police and how poorly they monitor and regulate crime in prime spots. If they really cared about tourism and the revenue that tourists bring to their beloved city, the first thing they would do is to investiage this and get hold of the culprits.

It's a shame that it's been happening for 7+ months and all I see is people going "bonkers" over a suggestion I made. I have visited plenty of tourist spots all over North America but have not seen that kind of negligence to customer service and safety of personal property.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 6.41am
You are of course exactly right Sarath. If such a theft of a bag had happened from a tourist buffet restaurant around, say, Times Square the media interest would be huge and the NYPD would be putting on extra shifts until the thief was reprimanded. ;-)

Of course you should be able to leave your bag on a table , no-one is denying this, however this is the real world we're living in. In major cities all over the world thieves target tourist areas for easy pickings and frankly it is more than a little naive not to be aware of this and take the reasonable precautions.

When in NYC last year, I had a wonderful day walking around Queens and Brooklyn. I ended up walking through a non too welcoming area of Brooklyn around the Naval Yard. I should have been perfectly within my rights to continue listening to my iPod however that would have made me an obvious target so the headphones went in my pocket, it's just common sense, surely?
Tuesday 8 July 2008 1.22pm
Well, its natural for homo-sapiens to react in different ways to an event. Moreover its easy to pass judgement or make comments as an outsider without having gone through any ordeal for that matter.
In this instance our dear friend has reported the actual events leading to theft of a bag.
UK has a very big brotherly attitude on its public watching everymove & step of people. In a country like that & being so called first world its a shame that they cannot tackle those scum of our society. Third world countries do much better with these issues I have seen.
No place on this planet is immune form these problems.
I strongly agree that its a racket involving the owners of restaurant along with chain of theives who operate at will.
Its a shame on those who have an opinion that it was a mistake on the part of owner not to have gaurded their personal property.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 1.42pm
kannadiga wrote:
I strongly agree that its a racket involving the owners of restaurant along with chain of theives who operate at will.
And, were I to be the owner of the restaurant, I might strongly advise you that there are laws in this country that allow me to take action against anyone who publicly says I'm involved in stealing my customers' bags.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 2.10pm
Yes indeed Ivanhoe, you are quite right. One cannot make assertions like this with no proof whatever.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 2.33pm
I can't understand why the Home Secretary or the UN aren't involved. Does nobody care?
Tuesday 8 July 2008 3.05pm
What the owners are guilty of is providing an ideal overcrowded, chaotic, easy to get-away environment that attracts thieves and promotes such crimes on unsuspecting tourists many of whom are from other countries. Aren't there standards and guidelines and limits in London on how many people can be in a restarant and limits on how close/apart tables need to be for fire code and safety requirements? Is it standard for all buffets to charge for food before eating? Shouldn't the resturant control the flow of people better so as to prevent a free-for-all environment?

Has anyone on this discussion (except for the victims of the crimes) ever been to that restaurant? You probably should visit the place at lunch time before commenting.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 5.15pm
Sharath, quite a few of the posters have expressed sympathy for your loss. If you're going to comment on what's been said it'd be nice if you thanked them. Just a thought :)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions