London SE1 community website

Bag thieves at Chopstix

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Tuesday 8 July 2008 5.24pm
Yes, I am thankful for the sympathies. Thanks! I wanted to make my point of view clear and bring attention to this issue. If two people can lose a bag in 7 months and mention it on this web site, imagine the number of people that have really lost their bags from that restaurant alone. I am sure the number is about 1 per week, or more.

The bag that was lost belonged to a relative who was with us. She was pregnant at that time and we were with my two year old toddler son that required attention. It just hurt the pregnant lady real bad that they picked a family that was tired and from out of town and obviously very distracted.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 5.27pm
Well, the point has certainly got across!
Tuesday 8 July 2008 6.53pm
It simply isn't wise to leave a bag unattended anywhere, regardless of how big or small the place you're visiting; especially so in London where you might actually cause a panic with a perceived bomb threat.

I too am sorry for your lose and it doesn't do us proud for visitors from abroad, but as others have mentioned this is hardly a problem particular to the capital alone. Can I ask where in the states you live exactly? Would the local police/newspaper genuinely be going door to door, dogs asniffing, pens ascribbling? Charming thought.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 10.23pm
I think it's true that you have to be particularly careful in large cities - and also that it's been true right through history. Not just a C21st. problem in London, NY etc., but one that was probably equally familiar in Babylon, medieval Paris or any other city, ancient or modern, you might care to name.

Sadly, thieves and pickpockets the world over have always picked on distracted, stressed people from out of town .... they're the best targets.

I'm sorry to hear that, in this case, it was a pregnant lady. Do let her know that London's also full of warm-hearted people who'd wish her nothing but good. :)
Thursday 10 July 2008 7.24am
If it wass that bad why did you go there....i would have walked out....with my bag....all these unsubstantiated criticsims of the restaurant being involved really are pointless....if its a crap place to go for a meal fine...say so....but otherwise accept you did soemthing you shouldn't have done and it went wrong. You have all our sympathies for your loss but not your accusations and by doing soemthing no-one would do in the current real world. The real focus should be the low life who perpetrate these crimes.
Thursday 10 July 2008 12.24pm
I'm afraid, Sharath, that bag thieves have one aim - to move QUICKLY, and get away with whatever is available. If you think they have two seconds to think whether the person they are stealing from is more or less vulnerable, more or less pregnant or more or less a foreigner, you are deluding yourself. There is only one solution - dont tempt them. You did, and you got caught. Accept it and dont blame it on the country, the restaurant, the tourist trade or anything other than your own naivete.
Thursday 10 July 2008 7.00pm
Mr Ivanhoe or who so ever you are___ looks like you know more about law in Britain than me. Would you care to explain or substantiate your statement a bit mate. I think I will be taking this quite personally.
Thursday 10 July 2008 7.17pm
I am sure that Ivanhoe will reply to you.

But before he does, you may like to read this

and reflect on what you posted...

"I strongly agree that its a racket involving the owners of restaurant along with chain of theives (sic) who operate at will"

"its a shame that they cannot tackle those scum of our society"

who knows, solicitors for Chopstix may be in touch!
Thursday 10 July 2008 11.16pm
This thread is ridiculous.....OP goes to restaurant at peak time in busiest tourist area in London; doesn't pay any attention to numerous signs warning of potential for bag theft; gets up to go to the buffet and leaves bag on table and then expresses shock when it's stolen. A couple of other posters concur, with no evidence whatsoever, that it's a racket organised by the restaurant. OP returns to announce that in the US, this would be considered a major crime and receive maximum publicity and suggest that they were targeted in some way for being pregnant, tired and out of town.

You have my genuine sympathy for having a bad experience in London and you're obviously bitter about the way it's been handled by both the restaurant and the police, but please get a grip. This happens across in the world in practically all tourist destinations when people are not paying due care and attention. You haven't been specially selected; you were just unlucky.
Friday 11 July 2008 8.24am
kannadiga wrote:
Mr Ivanhoe or who so ever you are___ looks like you know more about law in Britain than me. Would you care to explain or substantiate your statement a bit mate. I think I will be taking this quite personally.
1) I'm not your "mate"
2) I don't claim to know anything in particular about the law, but I assume it's a fairly common law all over the world that you can't go round making unsubstantiated allegations about people/businesses.

If I read it right, you, or the OP, or both of you, live in the US. Again, I'm no expert, but the US does have a reputation for being a place where lawyers are kept busy (in a "I scalded myself with hot coffee. I want to sue the "restaurant"" sort of way).

I'm not happy that you've had a bad experience. But I don't think that blaming anyone else is fair.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions