London SE1 community website

London Promenade project

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Friday 23 July 2010 10.34pm
Nigel,

It would be helpful to address the CONTENT of the postings rather than draw inferences that can't be drawn from the postings you've chosen to attack. These contributions by Graham and Michelle have objective merit, unlike your personal feelings, that demand our serious consideration.

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your earlier posting in which you said that you were in favour of the walkway because it would make deliveries to your studios easier. Are you suggesting that lorries should also be allowed to use the walkway?
Saturday 24 July 2010 9.07pm
It seems to me that issue of wheelchair/buggy access and the proposal for a promenade can and should be considered separately. I don't live by the river or have a river view but I do live locally and walk by the river a lot. In my opinion the current interruptions in the walkway add to the interest and charm of the area and to lose them would be a shame.
Sunday 25 July 2010 12.11am
Won't they have to build a wall to the height of the river at high tide?
Sunday 25 July 2010 12.20am
AdrianaRibeiro wrote:
Won't they have to build a wall to the height of the river at high tide?

I just assumed the plans would involve suspending a new walkway from a combination of existing structures and new ones, possibly sunk into the river bed, like the Golden Jubilee Bridges.
The walk under London Bridge could be interesting. A good thing would be that people could avoid those dangerous steps at No.1 London Bridge.
Sunday 25 July 2010 12.26am
I would never have discovered Borough Market if I hadn't been forced into Clink Street.
Sunday 25 July 2010 8.35am
Gosh, a lot of cross people on this thread. I do agree that making the River Walk one long same-y run will make it a bit clinical and sterilised. But allowing for people less able to negotiate difficult spaces is important too. It really is one of our major attractions in SE1 and a huge draw. The bikers/joggers/rollerbladers et al are a menace everywhere and IMHO should have some sort of by law or other legislation controlling them.That goes for a great deal of London, not just the river side.
Sunday 25 July 2010 9.49am
There are elements of nimbyism here, but in general I agree that to create a river walk where one never existed seems a tad opportunist. I suspect this is with an eye to the Olympics and increased numbers of people in the capital but it seeks to fake a view of London that was never there and impact the warehouses as seen from the north bank. I'd be more inclined to deal with this issue on the north shore where office developments have colonized the river view.
Sunday 25 July 2010 11.12am
Also very true,Tolstoy.
Sunday 25 July 2010 11.16am
?"...fake a view of London that was never there" ? The view is there, just not the promenade.

Nimbyism is a valid motive, but the South Bank/Bankside/Shad Thames riverside is one of the best city walks in the world and should be continuous with exploratory options like the presently over-crowded Clink Street which may then become more pleasant.
Sunday 25 July 2010 11.20am
?"...fake a view of London that was never there" ?

Have you seen the river views from that perspective? Has anyone? Ever?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions