London SE1 community website

London Promenade project

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Sunday 25 July 2010 10.48am
Tolstoy wrote:
?"...fake a view of London that was never there" ?
Have you seen the river views from that perspective? Has anyone? Ever?

When I'm next in London I'll look to see if there are windows on the river side. Maybe you know?

I suppose it's the idea that something doesn't exist unless it's experienced. I think otherwise. You, sir, are a Husserlian phenomenologist, but you may be wrong even in those terms. When I'm next in London I'll look to see if there are windows on the river side. Maybe you know?
Sunday 25 July 2010 11.00am
"I just assumed the plans would involve suspending a new walkway from a combination of existing structures and new ones, possibly sunk into the river bed, like the Golden Jubilee Bridges.
The walk under London Bridge could be interesting. A good thing would be that people could avoid those dangerous steps at No.1 London Bridge."

I also thought they would just sink the walkway into the river bed. But that wouldn't accommodate the tides.

Did you know that you can avoid the steps at No.1 London bridge by (coming from Tower Bridge) turning off to the left just before you get to the steps. Coming from Clink street and Tooley street you would turn left into the Thames Path. Of course there is no avoiding the steps coming from London Bridge itself but the walkway wouldn't solve that problem.
Sunday 25 July 2010 11.28am
"...fake a view of London that was never there" ?
Have you seen the river views from that perspective? Has anyone? Ever?

Yes, yes, that view is seen by millions of tourists every year. I know because I am one of those tourists who frequently takes the river boat with my daughter. Those Wharehouse Wharfs on Clink Street with its foreshore must be the most photographed part of the River Thames, it is definitely a favourite with us tourists. For sure they would be obscured if the promenade is to be extended.

Why must everything on the river path be made accessible to the public by creating a pedestrian motorway? Isn't it part of the fun that we have to take the boat to see a few things and detours via Clink Street and Tooley street in order to see others.

I agree that making the river walkway accessible to wheelchair users and pushchairs is extremely important. But there are existing alternative routes and if these are not enough then adjusting some, if not all, of the cobbled street in Clink Street would cost a great deal less than the pedestrian motorway being proposed.
Sunday 25 July 2010 11.59am
Many interesting points (and well made) on access and aesthetics but no one has commented on the stated aims of those behind the project e.g to "unlock the commercial potential", to link tourist sites, to double the number of users from 30m to 60m pa. A money spinner for low end business and the council. Like I said before, selling the family silver.......
Sunday 25 July 2010 1.15pm
My point, evidently poorly expressed, is simply that no view was ever intended from the perspective of a river walk and to create one at the expense of the architecture strikes me as wanton lack of sympathy to the heritage of the area.

I'm having to get my head round the idea of bring a 'Husserlian phenomenologist', I personally tend to view myself more a Psychogeographist, but hey... thanks for the reading material.
Sunday 25 July 2010 2.20pm
Spacemaker,

You are right.
Sunday 25 July 2010 2.33pm
Tolstoy wrote:
My point, evidently poorly expressed, is simply that no view was ever intended from the perspective of a river walk and to create one at the expense of the architecture strikes me as wanton lack of sympathy to the heritage of the area.
I'm having to get my head round the idea of bring a 'Husserlian phenomenologist', I personally tend to view myself more a Psychogeographist, but hey... thanks for the reading material.

It's a point of view (hah!), but a weak argument, that opening a new view is bad because the view is new. I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'psycho'.
Sunday 25 July 2010 4.11pm
My feeling is it would undermine the aesthetic of these warehouses as viewed from the north shore. As ever, just because things can be done doesn't always mean its a good idea to do so, and if, as Spacemaker quotes it is purely to "... unlock... commercial potential" then cue the unbroken line of warehouse frontages being turned into shop windows. Of course it makes sense commercially, however is that to be the only judge of worth for consideration?
Sunday 25 July 2010 4.35pm
AdrianaRibeiro wrote:
Those Wharehouse Wharfs on Clink Street with its foreshore must be the most photographed part of the River Thames, it is definitely a favourite with us tourists.

Really? I've been on the tourist boats several times and never seen anyone taking any notice of them, not that that's a reason to cover them up. I would be very unhappy if I lived there and had a walkway of tourists appear outside my window.

I don't really understand your point about the tide. The walkway would be clear of high tide, surely.

Pic of the warehouses here
Monday 16 May 2011 12.50pm
Seemingly a different project to the London Promenade Project (and on the north side of the river) but I have just read that the "London River Park" - a floating walkway connecting Blackfriars and Tower of London complete with "8 themed pavilions" - has had a funding deal signed... apparently the private investor is to keep 70% of net revenue - but not sure how this will be raised.

News article here.

Photos here.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions