London SE1 community website

Wicked (part 4)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Monday 13 October 2003 6.12pm
It is NOT going to be a private club - it will continue to be a PUBLIC club that holds the odd private members' night. In the main it will be a public club, including the lap-dancing, which means that naturally they will need to "tout for business in the streets", much as Spearmint Rhino does.
Monday 13 October 2003 10.22pm
I would like to make a few comments.

Ivanhoe Martin said: "Southwark Cathedral is nearby, but (unless they've started regular night-time services) the clientele of the strange fetish-dressing establishment will never have to cross paths with Wicked's members"

Wicked do not operate just as a nightclub:
Every Thursday afternoon they run an event called Pure Lust Club. To this event single men are invited to pay 300 annual membership and 80 per party to attend. In my opinion this is a brothel in all but name and this is before they are granted any kind of sex licence.
On the second Saturday of every month, also during the afternoon, they run an event called Club Champagne. This event is advertised as a couples and singles party where sexual intercourse involving groups will occur.
On the last Sunday of every month from 11am they run an event called The International Fetish Fair. Attendees are encouraged to dress up in fetish gear and shop for umm paraphernalia.

LMJJ I think correctly states that many of previous postings have been about the BDSM/fetish elements, rather than the more general ramifications of the sex licence Wicked are seeking to be granted. Fair comment. I think this is because the activities at Wicked have expanded dramatically in the last few weeks. The fetish nights continue but now they have added many other sex related events.

My final comment (in this posting!) is that if Wicked currently operate as if they have already been granted the sex licence just how will they manage/advertise the venue if they actually get it?

Monday 13 October 2003 10.43pm
Monday's FT diary has a follow-up:

Quote:
The application for Britain's first public sex licence will be heard today by Southwark council, as Observer revealed last week.
Observer has no evidence that licensing committee chairman Abdur-Rahman Olayiwola and his fellow members are approaching the application with anything but open minds. So Observer regrets if Thursday's story about the application by Wicked, a bondage club beneath London Bridge, implied any lack of impartiality on their part.

However, the business establishment on Bankside is not so constrained. The great and the good are prominent among the 76 letters of objection.

PriceWaterhouseCoopers, ANZ Investment Bank and two City livery companies - the Glaziers and Launderers - are among the protestors.

ANZ's letter even hints that having a live sex club on the doorstep could lead it to reconsider its office location.

The police, meanwhile, say they have serious reservations that proprietors Brian (a former policeman) and Caroline Sheridan are "fit and proper" to hold the licence.

The pair, organisers of the "Fetish Olympics", say they are perfect neighbours and do a lot of charity work. No wonder the hearing is scheduled to last into next week.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 14 October 2003 5.42pm
A report on how the coucil hearing is going or rather isn't.

from the South London Press

Sheridans solicitors argued that committee members they should stand down if they were "actively practising a religion" as they wouldn't have an open mind.

[edited by JH to prevent long URL from distorting page width]
Tuesday 14 October 2003 8.54pm
Surely that's an argument that's unlikely to cut much ice?

It doesn't sound particularly "open minded" to seek to impose restrictions of this sort.
Tuesday 14 October 2003 8.59pm
I agree.

Completely ridiculous.
Tuesday 14 October 2003 9.20pm
Much ado about nothing. I don't imagine the Wicked clientele
will be running up and down Tooley Street whipping each other.
I love city life because it allows people to have access to all
manner of lifestyles. If you want to have a boring monotonous
life go live in the country and commune with nature. Cities are
for people who love life and all it's diversity.
Wednesday 15 October 2003 8.27am
I dont imagine they will be whipping eachother either.

I do imagine that becuase of the proximity to the City that there will shortly be lap-dancing at the venue, I can even imagine that other clubs will be set up. I can tell you I dont have to try too hard to imagine touting for business in doorways and the rest of the problems that come with the sex industry will soon be in the tunnel that is the main (only?) pedestrian througough-fare along the south side of the river.

People have beent trying for years to improve access and encourage use of the pathways along the riverbanks and regardless of whether you agree or not with the reason's some people may be deterred from walking through the tunnel you have to respect their opinions.

I fully support the rights of individuals to express themselves and to partake in whatever activity they desire but no-one has the right to do it wherever they want and business managers dont have the right to set up clubs wherever they want just so that they can maximise their own profits.

gggggrrrrrruuff
Thursday 16 October 2003 9.41am
I agree with you Hot Dog. Just don't anyone ask me to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Church Nazis.

walking down the road
Saturday 18 October 2003 7.56am
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions