London SE1 community website

Wicked (part 4)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9
Wednesday 29 October 2003 3.28pm
Do you know what the latest is on this application - it seems to have gone very quiet in the press.

Cheers

Modigliani
Thursday 30 October 2003 10.48am
Modigliani

The council hearing on Oct 13 (onwards) for the sex licence et al was adjourned after 2 days. No dates have yet been set to resume though the council have stated that they will endeavour to hear it before Xmas.

The reason for the adjournment was rather technical, but briefly was:
The Public Entertainment Licence (PEL) is held by Robot City Ltd.
An application was made by the Sheridans to transfer the PEL to them in January, but was opposed and so due to be decided by the licensing committee.
The annual application to renew the PEL together with application for the sex waivers were made in March again by the Sheridans.
The problem was, as the Sheridans didn't hold the PEL were they able to make the various applications or should they have been made by Robot City Ltd who actually hold the license. Robot City Ltd though informed of the meeting was not represented. As potentially decisions made by the meeting would have financial consequences for the company it was thought appropriate to adjourn.

The parallel application, to revoke the liquor licences, made by the Police was heard on Oct 20 at Camberwell Magistrates Court, adjourned from July 7. And guess what, that was adjourned until Nov 3.

So who is continually making the applications for adjournment, the Sheridan's. Perhaps they can tell us why.
Thursday 30 October 2003 11.19am
Your post doesn't make sense Mel. You give a lot of dates and a few facts about who held the license and then say "so who make the adjournments, the Sheridans".

That's a fine example of drawing a conclusion from no evidence (or at least no evidence that you've thought fit to post).

I'm not a supporter of Wicked (but - generally - I really don't mind, as long as they keep it inside and off the street), but I am against the "moral" crusade that you seem to represent (not least because this has nothing to do with religion, which is a personal thing and not universal like the law of the land).

If you've got a reasoned, factual, argument against this that doesn't rely on "Jesus' dad wouldn't like it", then I'd say that's the best way to push your case in a country where the main contribution that the C of E makes is to make a mockery of itself arguing over how gay you can be and still be a priest (IMO)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 30 October 2003 11.03pm
Just to confuse matters further re. Wicked, I see that some Labour councillors have been trying to get the chair of the licensing committee replaced.
Friday 31 October 2003 1.21pm
I think the motion from Cllrs Ritchie and Friary to force the resignation of the chair was withdrawn from the Council assembly meeting 29 Oct.

Friday 31 October 2003 1.59pm
have we gone from sex to furniture here??

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 31 October 2003 2.48pm
I might as well go....

I'm so used to being humiliated and abused at work that it would probably be second nature....
Monday 3 November 2003 11.15am
Sorry to drag things off the subject of furniture (interesting though that is)....

Having lived and worked locally for 10 years, it's been great to see how the whole area between London Bridge and Southwark Bridge has got smarter and safer both for local business and residents. The Wicked application seems to be a move in the wrong direction. In the past, just having a late night club on the site has been a problem (with shootings etc.).

Alan.

Post edited (03 Nov 03 13:46)
Monday 3 November 2003 12.40pm
The Evening Standard has sent an undercover reporter to Wicked:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/entertainment/latenightlondon/articles/7494257
Monday 3 November 2003 1.35pm
James _ I have just read it.....and I think this article will increase the potential clients a thousandfold!.....one bit that me raise an eyebrow was the fact that the lady was introduced to the bondage/fetish scene by her brother!.....Her Brother?......my brothers did not even want to take me into a pub for a drink, and I was older than them!

I thought originally that it was a smack happy club with discreet side rooms for people to indulge in what ever they fancy, now it seems like open orgy season!

Would the income that Southwark receive in rates justify granting of this licence?

jan
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions