London SE1 community website

Mar i Terra

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Tuesday 4 March 2008 5.00pm
Quite. I've never been there, although I've always thought, "Hmmm, might give that place a try." Now, however, I shan't be going there. Baltic or any number of other places on and around The Cut can have my hard-earned instead. Anyway, I'm sure he wouldn't want my business, or that of my friends and acquaintances...
Tuesday 4 March 2008 10.14pm
IanB wrote:
PS I ate at Mar i Terra once and it was an enjoyable experience, thanks, although I would not dare to comment on the wine list as I am only a civilian.

Please accept my apologies for the above statement. It should have read "I ate at Mar i Terra once, but as I have no proven passion, experience, or knowledge, I am afraid I cannot comment on either the food or the wine."
Wednesday 5 March 2008 9.02am
This restaurateur needs to get over himself I fear. personally I wouldn't dare go to his place for fear of his criticism of ME.
Wednesday 5 March 2008 9.48am
I've been there around a week ago and really liked the food. Wine was good, and not having looked at the wine list in too much detail, can't say whether there was indeed not a cheaper option available.

However, I did think asking for a tip in cash is a bit strange. I understand why (no deduction of the credit card fee), but then you won't have that problem if you don't add it to the bill in the first place.
Wednesday 5 March 2008 10.23am
Strange concept: going to a restaurant for a row. Lighten up, Lee. It's only food and drink. Veneration of critics is a weird obsession - perhaps more prevalent inside the trade than outside. And it's Meades, by the way.

I've been a few times. Food good if a little too oily in some dishes, cheaper wines serviceable, prices okay, staff did their job. It was a bit bright and loud, as I remember, and some tables too close together.

In all, not a lot different from thousands of restaurants. If you want to be loved Lee, be remarkable.

And you still haven't addressed the other question: why the request for cash tips?
Wednesday 5 March 2008 10.29am
Ah, the tips thing. My wife used to be a waitress. If customers gave a tip via the credit card, the owner would keep it. Not a nice practice, so I am sure it isn't what is going on in this case.
Ian
Wednesday 5 March 2008 11.06am
And if the tip is paid by card, the owner can take it into account in the wages of the staff. Often, where the staff are receiving the minimum wage, that means that their wages are made up of a set amount less than the MW and tip to make up to the MW amount. Unfortunately, this is entirely legal. I always pay cash tips. The extra is for the service I receive in what is, indeed, a service industry...
Wednesday 5 March 2008 11.22am
Hasn't this thread got a bit out of control? It's all getting too ad hominem.
Wednesday 5 March 2008 11.44am
Thank you longlaner, yes it is (if somebody's resorting to correcting my spelling of a surname....)
Sorry, didn't realise that we're not supposed to have an opinion too.
Wednesday 5 March 2008 11.48am
Quote:
Sorry, didn't realise that we're not supposed to have an opinion too.

You are welcome to your opinion. I presume that you do not mind if people disagree with you? And it would be nice too if you could agree that other people are entitled to their opinions on your restaurant, and its wine list.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions