London SE1 community website

Fun pub or gastropub near Southwark/Waterloo/Borough?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 4 February 2008 2.25pm
I'm amused that people keep recommending places they haven't been to!

The food at The Hartley is decent, but it's a heck of a way from Southwark tube, and the Lord Nelson does very good ice cream but is otherwise nothing special.

IMHO The Anchor and Hope is the best near Southwark tube, but it is expensive and, as others have said, wildly popular, making it hard to get a table. The King's Arms on Roupell St is, as the previous poster mentions, a good place.
Monday 4 February 2008 4.11pm
Near Sthk tube, I'd go to the Kings,The White Hart (just round the corner from the Kings), or try the Tas bar (with good Turkish food as well) under the arches between Sthk tube and W'loo. In fact, all the above are on a short circuit (5 mins walk). I used to like the Thai food at The Ring , but the jukebox became so obtrusive and awful that I stopped going.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 4 February 2008 6.36pm
The Garrison on Bermondsey Street is really nice - gets my vote for both food and drink.
Tuesday 5 February 2008 1.24pm
The Garrison is indeed excellent, but it hardly meets the original poster's requirements - inexpensive, and fairly close to The Cut!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions