London SE1 community website

Water leak - advice

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 4 February 2008 5.20pm
One of my radiator pipes running through my neighbour's hallway ceiling has leaked causing a pretty nasty stain.

I think the ceiling is plaster board. Does this mean it should be replaced? We need access to repair the pipe to get my heating going again, but should the whole section of the ceiling come down or could the stained section be cut away and replaced?

Grateful for any suggestions on what kind of tradeperson person should be employed to fix the ceiling (which has halogon light fittings in - would this require an electrician?).

Would this be something to claim on the building's insurance? Any local recommendations?
Tuesday 5 February 2008 9.18am
Claim on the insurance.

You probably need to lift your floorboards to effect the repair - rather than to take down your neighbour's ceiling. A plumber would be perfectly able to do that.

As for your neighbour's flat, you don't say how extensive the damage is. A stain can be painted over. You will probably need to use a stain stopping paint - oil based wood primer is highly effective. A decorator would suffice for that.

Soggy plasterboard, however, would be of no further use to man nor beast and would have to be replaced. You would need a builder. No need for a specialist electrician: fitting halogen lights is a doddle.
Tuesday 5 February 2008 12.09pm
doing it may be a doddle except that under the revised part P of the building regulations requires that all work on electricals be done by a certified electrician - same as corgi for gas
Tuesday 5 February 2008 12.23pm
jonathon wrote:
part P of the building regulations requires that all work on electricals be done by a certified electrician
Not true. And replacing damaged light fittings in a hallway certainly does not come under the reporting requirements of Part P.

Even if it were to come under the reporting requirements of Part P you still don't require a 'certified' (whatever one of those is) electrician but wihtout one you would require building regs approval.

same as corgi for gas

Not true. Not the same as corgi for gas. You are allowed to do DIY gas repairs without involving building regs.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions