London SE1 community website

Floorboards sloping - help please?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 6 February 2008 11.07am
Hi - I'm seeking help in getting slopey floorboards fixed - I have a pullout day bed which at one end is in mid-air due to the minor slope in the floor. Please can anyone suggest a builder/carpenter who may be able to help getting this fixed?
Any suggestions / advice welcome.
Wednesday 6 February 2008 1.03pm
A block of wood under the lower leg(s)?
Wednesday 6 February 2008 1.10pm
If only it were that simple - it rolls out and therefore needs a level floor in order to work effectively. It's a contraption of infernal Ikea.
I suspect I need to get the floor fixed.
Please can anyone suggest a handyman/small builder who'd tackle this?
Wednesday 6 February 2008 2.33pm
New bed instead? Abandon the Swedish way? Cheaper... Easier...
Wednesday 13 February 2008 9.55pm
A good carpenter should cost 150-200 per day, plus materials and what have you. Floorboards being floorboards, you can't just level one or two - you'll probably need to replace the lot, plus skirting boards, which will also involve a spot of redecoration. So at least 1,500+ for an average sized room. Sounds an awful lot of trouble just to get a bed to work, and besides, slopy floorboards are quite quirky and a fun feature to have!
Howabout unscrewing the wheels from the bed, and sandwiching a bit of wood in between?
If all else fails, stick the bed on eBay and get one that's more compatable..
Thursday 14 February 2008 10.46am
Hi Sophie

Did a quick Google for "level floor" this morning - got a couple of interesting results.

One describes the problem with wooden joists, the other concrete floors. At least you could have a quick read-up before any handy man has a look and relate to what he is saying.

Hope this helps a bit.
Tuesday 6 May 2008 5.18pm
Hi Sophie, I am a Local Handyman, If you still have the problem with the floorboards I could take a look for you.This my website were you can take a look at the work I do and contact me, www.1handymanservice.co.uk thanks, Nick.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions