London SE1 community website

Anyone know of a good doctor?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 15 October 2003 4.14pm
Decima Street Practice is excellent if you can register and their books are open. Falmouth Road practice has a good name and a few female Doctors, The Borough Medical Centre is very good, Dr Smith, Dr.Misra, Dr Sharma, all good.

jan
Thursday 16 October 2003 8.23pm
'if you can register' ...ah those key words. Having tried every practice within walking distance [all those mentioned, plus one other] and been rebuffed because they were 'too far away' [excuse me - less than half a mile using my legs - too far??] or too full [can't debate that one] I have had to resort to obtaining a form from the NHS so that I will be assigned to a practice - whether they like it or not......so why refuse my 'custom' in the first place...? what a crazy system. Can anyone explain it?

jac
Thursday 16 October 2003 10.13pm
Jane

The explaination is simple. Too few GP too many patients.
Thursday 16 October 2003 11.28pm
jac - I had worked that one out, but in fact several of the practices I have spoken have room on their lists, however I live about 10 metres too far away 'on the wrong side of the street' [sob!]

My point was related to the fact that it seems that one of the practices that has so far declined to accept my custom will be obliged to take me on once the NHS have processed the assignment form.

The situation will not improve in the short term because being a GP is no longer seen as a rewarding option.

jac
Friday 17 October 2003 11.15am
jane

I understand your point, the system is in a mess. I guess the only reason these doctors have room on their list is because they have restricted their boundaries and are sticking to them.

There were several reports in the local news paper a few months ago about the problem. One poor couple had been on their gps list for many years (i cant rememeber exactly 30 or 40 I think) but the practise had reduced its catchment area and they were taken off and had to find new gps. I find that quite apalling. Luckily my surgery has not removed my family as from what you say I might well be out of the catchment area now but if things carry on as they are who knows maybe I will be in the future.
Thursday 30 June 2011 9.32pm
wow thats interesting seeing you thread answer here, I have just left grange road practise, I was very unhappy with them, the lady doctor I saw was ok, I wonder if its same one you saw. Was her name Haider? She was ok with me and caring and bla bla and all that jazz but the other two male doctors there I was disappointed with so left and now at Parkers Row which is better. Straight away they refer me for heart echo which I wanted before when was at Grange road they would not bother to do this, even though I was very worried as my ankles are swollen all the time and this new doc said I have fluid in them, as have slight enlargement on my heart with other health issues. To long to go into.
Jac
Thursday 30 June 2011 10.58pm
Ladywriter1968 wrote:
wow thats interesting seeing you thread answer here, I have just left grange road practise,

This thread is old and the post I made about Grange road practice in 2003 refers to the old GP practice no longer there and not the new health centre on Grange road. I am now registered with Decima street which is linked to the new grange road practice and I have no problems with the doctors at either Decima or grange road
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions