London SE1 community website

Land in front of London Eye

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 October 2003 12.06pm
Maybe you peeps can help me. I work for a youth charity called Kikass and we want to produce an event for World AIDS Day on Sun 30th Nov. Thing is we are thinking big and want to hold this event on the land/park/open grass space at bottom of London Eye. Any ideas who i need to talk to sort this out??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Tuesday 14 October 2003 12.23pm
Hi Nick

Your first port of call needs to be Westminster Council. You need to have a plan of your event with all other details, ie how many people involved etc.

You will also need to speak to the Metropolitain Police ... they will ahve a planning department. they always have issues with public safety and what sort of crowd you might attract. As that is an area which is heavily populated by tourists, they will want to know if you will have any volunteers who can marshall the event.

If they decide that the event needs extra policing, then there may be cost implications.

You may need to speak to people at County Hall (the Saatchi gallery, the hotel and BA - The London Eye) to check that they are ok.... the council will give you more info as to the best route to go down.

I hope that this is of help to you. If you have any more questions, please ask. Good Luck with the event.
Tuesday 14 October 2003 12.59pm
Cheers Dave dude. Your info is greatly appreciated. Thanks for being a source.

Thankyou please


Tuesday 14 October 2003 2.36pm
Westminster Council????? What have they got to do with it?

The London Eye is most definitely in Lambeth.

For the area immediately below the London Eye, you'd need to speak to the London Eye company itself.

If you are talking about Jubilee Gardens (the large open space), that's owned by the South Bank Centre - try the Royal Festival Hall switchboard for advice on who to speak to.
Wednesday 15 October 2003 6.01am
James is right. Jubilee Gardens is sort of Lambeth, and I think maintained by Lambeth Parks. But the whole thing is more complicated than that and involves the South Bank Centre, and at one stage, Bromley Council.

This is part of the reason why the vendor problem along that stretch of the South Bank took so long to resolve. They needed to work out who might take enforcement action.

In a normal Lambeth Park to run an event you phone Lambeth and ask to speak to Maire Lutri, and inevitably there is a long form and lots of insurance and hygiene hoops to go through, but you get there in the end. But on Jubilee Gardens I suspect things are too complicated. Plus they would have to consult people like the London Eye and probably quite a few others so it would take time.

Your best bet is to phone Michael Ball of the Waterloo Community Development Group. He has been engaged in the fight to save the Gardens, and is now active in the Trust which are seeking to improve the gardens. (They've got lots of money too.) He should be able to give a steer on whether it might be doable and who to contact. (As long as you dont suggest using the grass for car or coach parking.)

I suspect your time frame is too short. But another ally might be the marketing people at South Bank Employers Group. If you got their support they too know how to get things moving.

Perhaps the complexity is what saved Jubilee Gardens from David Blaine.
Wednesday 15 October 2003 4.21pm
Having organised several events in the area the permissions you need depend on the kind of event you plan. Jubilee gardens is run by a trust and in the first event put your proposal forward to John Gray at the Festival Hall - he will want to know lots of details. There is also an active residents group at County hall/ White House who need to be consulted/informed. If you plan any live music you will need to apply a month in advance to Lambeth licensing for an occasional music licence. They will want to know about things like first aid cover, temporary loos stewarding etc.There is also a cost depending on the size of crowd you expect. Police & fire brigade etc. are only interested if you want road closures or a procession etc although informing them as a courtesy never hurts and Lambreth have an events officer.
Hope this helps

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions