London SE1 community website

Gyms near London Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 25 February 2008 1.11pm
If you're thinking of joining a Cannons, LA Fitness or Virgin Active gym it's worth noting that for many people (especially if you are young and active) it's cheaper to join Pru Health and get gym membership thrown in than to pay the gym directly. For 25 a month I've got membership to an LA Fitness opposite my office, plus basic health insurance. They do charge 25 setup and 25 a month extra for the first 3 months, but if you go through Quidco or Topcashback you can cancel out 85 worth of this with cashback.
Monday 25 February 2008 1.20pm
Quite right, Zappomatic. The initial costs can be quite high, but continued use can bring the costs right down, including huge reductions on the actual insurance premium element from the second year onwards.

My Cannons membership is currently costing me 25 a month (on the basis of going twice or more a week on average) plus 33 insurance premium which I wouldn't have had if it wasn't for the gym membership deal, so 58 a month. For the first three months, gym membership was 50, and there was a 25 setup fee. I am anticipating building up enough points to get a 100% premium reduction next year, so what I pay will only be the gym membership plus the increase in my premium due to age and inflation. I reckon I'll be paying under 35 a month by this time next year.

You can't even get unlimited use of scummy council gyms for that...

I think it works very well for LA Fitness or Cannons (in fact if you want a single-branch membership that doesn't include one of the premium clubs - of which City branch of Cannons is one - the membership element can go right down to 0.00) but Virgin Active seems to remain fiendishly expensive when you factor everything in.
Tuesday 26 February 2008 8.12pm
Well the hot water is working OK at Soho Gyms at Empire Square - and it seems to be getting busier which is good news
Tuesday 26 February 2008 8.42pm
Well if you join Topnotch dont leave any valuables in your locker as thieves have obtained copy keys and are rifling the lockers whilst you work out ... and the management accept no responsibility and the police arent interested
Tuesday 26 February 2008 9.00pm
topnotch has always been very dodgy and the staff have a poor attitude to customers...an awful place
Thursday 6 March 2008 8.03pm
Hi Borough paul

hope don't mind me asking , but what are the gym staff/personal trainers like at the soho gym in Borough are they friendly or what.... as i'm thinking of joining that branch.
your reply would be appriciated.
Thursday 6 March 2008 8.32pm
so far they seem really helpful but ive not had any dealings with personal trainers yet.its a nice gym ... they are having a few teething troubles but nothing major.
Friday 7 March 2008 1.21pm
I know I had a bit of a moan in my previous post but the Soho Gym in Borough has fixed its water and the staff all seem very nice. They gave me a token for a free session with a personal trainer which I haven't tried yet. You might be able to get one if you ask at the desk saying you want to try before buying. I'll report back once I've had my session.
Friday 7 March 2008 3.52pm
Likewise, I'd agree that Soho at Borough are sorting themselves out. All of the staff seem really friendly apart from the tall geezer on reception who's not uttered a word to me since the day I joined. Can't win em all tho. Anyone tried the classes yet?
Friday 7 March 2008 8.35pm
Ditto the above - the staff at Soho Gyms in Borough are considerably more friendly than staff at their other branch in Waterloo where (with one notable exception) indifference reigns.

Friendliness is at a premium in our city so Borough wins my custom, despite its utilitarian decor.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions