London SE1 community website

SE1 visitor attractions - too expensive for most families?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 25 February 2008 1.36pm
James,

I dont know if it is possible, but the facility to spot restuarant deals via your site and click through is great and has allowed us to go to places we would not otherwise have tried. Is there scope for doing the same with offers on theatre and attractions.

Surely specials for SE1 readers would not be illegal...

Sarah
Monday 25 February 2008 2.41pm
Tesco deals meant we went to the London Dungeon and Tower of London for, seemingly at least, a cheaper price ( Tesco claim deals are worth 4X the value - just makes me feel ill to think we've spent too much at the supermarket!) though you have to order online, find out the costs separately, wait for the tickets to arrive and then still queue to trade the vouchers!
Monday 25 February 2008 9.51pm
Get a booklet with 100x2for 1 offers including the London Bridge Experience.
http://www.onerailway.com/leisure_offers/london_offers
Even if you have to buy their cheapest 6 ticket and not use it, you'd still be ahead.
Probably some restrictions in the small print?
Wednesday 27 February 2008 3.29am
If you don't like the prices, vote with your wallet and don't go. Basic economic principles (as someone earlier pointed out) show that some people are prepared to pay. Others have mentioned much more fun things to occupy time than being in a confined space with a bunch of tourists - bless them for the money they spend!
Tuesday 15 April 2008 2.30pm
The Old Vic used to offer residents of Lambeth and Southwark tickets for 5 on a certain week night. I saw the excellent Gaslight there last year but I'm not sure if that offer still runs. Other notable deals are the 5 performances at Shakespeare's Globe, which are always fantastic along with the Mediatheque at the BFI, which is free to go in and browse their collection of British cinema and television.

I would agree however that the price of some attractions, notably the London Dungeon is extortionate and in some cases simply not worth the price, which can be very disappointing for those paying.

The Boss,
SE1 Relocation Ltd
E: oliver@se1relocation.com
W: http://www.se1relocation.com
Tuesday 15 April 2008 4.58pm
Paul wrote:
If you don't like the prices, vote with your wallet and don't go. Basic economic principles (as someone earlier pointed out) show that some people are prepared to pay. Others have mentioned much more fun things to occupy time than being in a confined space with a bunch of tourists - bless them for the money they spend!

What if you just don't like the crowds blocking the pavement and access to the tube station, the racket blaring from speakers and televisions mounted outside, and just the notion that they're naff attractions, and a blight on the streetscape?

Who's idea was it to turn Tooley Street into the cheesiest stretch of road in London? A strip club is taboo, but attractions that basically amount to children's theme parks for out-of-towners are welcome with open arms...I don't get it.

If only Ken would use some of my (excessive) tax rates to fight these establishments the way he did the peelers.
Tuesday 15 April 2008 5.39pm
deek wrote:
What if you just don't like the crowds blocking the pavement and access to the tube station, the racket blaring from speakers and televisions mounted outside, and just the notion that they're naff attractions, and a blight on the streetscape?

Who's idea was it to turn Tooley Street into the cheesiest stretch of road in London? A strip club is taboo, but attractions that basically amount to children's theme parks for out-of-towners are welcome with open arms...I don't get it.

If only Ken would use some of my (excessive) tax rates to fight these establishments the way he did the peelers.

Couldn't agree with you more. At weekends and every day during the holidays the London Dungeon queues block the pavement for workers and locals making access to and from the station difficult. Try manoeuvring a pram through that part of Tooley Street's pavement. Must be great fun for those in wheelchairs. Why is a commercial outfit allowed to block public space so frequently? The Dungeon must make a packet through their celebration of various rapists and murderers, how about not making life so awkward for people who live nearby? And now opposite we have an almost identical 'attraction'!

Wonder how all this sits with the decision makers at More London who have step through/over the gawping queues at least twice daily.

Southwark Planning decides what is appropriate in the area so thank them. We already have two dirty-looking fried chicken outlets serving the queues, wonder what next will be provided?
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions