London SE1 community website

Recycling plastic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Sunday 16 November 2003 10.01pm
thanks for that, James! I send them to the Netherlands to my parents- guess I will have to continue that...
Jim
Sunday 23 November 2003 7.23pm
My wife taught in a Southwark school until recently. One of their projects concerned the recycling of plastic bottles & she discovered that Lewisham *does* have recycling sites. *However* you must claim to be a Lewisham resident to use them... she arrived with a couple of Southwark binbags & was turned away. She returned the next day, prepared to lie, but I had meantime muddied the water & the bloke in charged pretended not to notice her...

Ain't life grand?
Monday 24 November 2003 11.01am
Maurits

You send your used batteries to the Netherlands for recycling. How do you do this? By post? The energy & effort used (and therefore the ecological cost to the planet) in getting your dud batteries to the Netherlands is in excess of the ecological benefit to the planet from recycling them. They're bound to be flown there.

Quite apart from the cost to you. Stop it, and put them in the bin next time.

I dare say this will provoke a tirade of responses saying that whatever it costs to 'save' the planet it is worth it. Not when it costs more than it saves it's not.
Jai
Monday 24 November 2003 11.39am
well, not one to dissapoint.

Clearly to some, the "cost" of not recycling is greater then the monetary cost involved.

Maurits... Zo doorgaan.

Varkenslachter
Monday 24 November 2003 12.05pm
I'm not just referring to monetary cost; my focus is energy cost. There is not net ecological benefit - or any other - to frittering energy away because it makes you feel better.
Jai
Monday 24 November 2003 4.03pm
I hear you MM, but there must be some benefit to at least having certain waste products (such as batteries, but not limited to...) broken down, rather then put into the ground willy-nilly.

I think you are right hower with regards to the use of other energies in order to break down waste. But we have to start somewhere... renewable energy is also too expensive to harvest, but does this mean we should give up on it now ?

Varkenslachter
Monday 24 November 2003 4.34pm
Yes, we should give up pretending that it is a practical, ecological solution. POssibly some day it will be possible to generate electricity economically (and by that I include ecologically economically) from solar power in the UK. Until that time, the Government should not be encouraging the general public to waste its money and energy resources into installing equipment that is not of benefit to the world.
Monday 24 November 2003 4.47pm
I usually bring the batteries to The Netherlands when I go there myself-- or give them to someone who goes there.

I so agree with Jai that the cost of not recycling can be greater than the monetary or even the energy cost. Recycling is a matter of mentality and habit. If only we recycled more in the UK, it would contribute significantly to ecological wellbeing of our planet.

My sending batteries to The Netherlands is a statement: I am putting effort in something that is taken for granted and I would recommend the UK to take up a new habit. Taking up new habits always asks investments, whether that is in terms of money,energy or perseverance.

The benefit is already that we discuss it here--it's got to start somewhere....
Monday 24 November 2003 5.11pm
Thanks for all the replies and for the info about Lewisham and Camden.

Maurits, I agree with you, it might sound trite but if we all did a little bit more the effect would count - we need to up the human energy/effort - it's got to be worth it!!!
Tuesday 25 November 2003 1.47pm
With regards the batteries, should use rechargeable wherever pos. it takes something like 50 times more energy to make a normal battery than the battery can provide.

Read an intereting piece yesterday about mini - turbines that are silent and top up the power to your house, you could find the article in the guaridan web site probably - looks promising.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/renewable/Story/0,2763,1091895,00.html
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions