London SE1 community website

Recycling plastic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Jai
Thursday 27 November 2003 7.09am
and might it have something to do with Trolls ?

Varkenslachter
Thursday 27 November 2003 8.31am
yes, I had to wait for the other 2 billy goats to get across the bridge

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 27 November 2003 4.40pm
I don't know you, so I don't know if I like you or not, all I see are the posts you make. As for trolling, well, I think you need to read the definition again.

I just find your ability to disregard other peoples opinions or position in a debate, when they don't agree with you, peppered with personal insults and dismissive comments, a bit boring, that's all.

I'm sure those people who have a problem with 300 foot windmills near their homes would find your comments very helpful in deciding whether they should agree to them on not. I suspect they might suggest to you where you should put them.
Thursday 27 November 2003 5.04pm
Tom,

I bow to your superior powers of judgement and reasoning, and cower in shame before your shining example of polite, rational, and moral behaviour.

Now get off my back (please), and let the rest of us have a discussion about windfarms etc.

Thursday 27 November 2003 5.48pm
Good thing, a discussion about recycling. Much more needs to be done in Southwark. We have had a door collection of paper for about a year on my estate, which is a great idea. How it is run, is a different story. The blue bag with recycled paper is to be put outside your front door on Wednesday morning before 9 am. I have done this religiously most weeks, when I have been home. At some point the collections stopped, and I started phoning up the organisation responsible S.U.R.E, who promise a collection will be made, if they miss the regular one.

In theory yes. But instead I have been given loads of excuses from the collectors, why they have not collected my paper.
-the entry doors were locked (that is the idea of security doors, surely? How do hawkers and the postman get in?)
-I have not placed the bag visibly enough (which would be in the middle of the landing blocking others' access)
-I have put the bag out too late (never the case, as I have put them out there the night before)

This week my paper was again duly collected, surely because of another call to them last week. This is starting to feel as much of an effort as taking batteries to Holland... maybe I'll start sending my paper back to Finland, where I as a child learned to recycle paper and where it is standard practise...

As for plastic, surely that could be collected, if there was a will?
Thursday 27 November 2003 6.25pm
I seem to get so many catalogues etc in the post - and they all come wrapped in a clear polythene wrapper - which I always throw away. One came this week with an address on it to send the wrapper to - should my local authority not provide recycling facilities - after a week I almost have a bag full of the things to send to them (yes, I do receive an excessive amount of catalogues - and I do recycle the ones I don't want) - they weigh next to nothing too ...

So send them to: Polyprint Mailing Films, Mackintosh Road, Rackheath Industrial Estate, Rackheath, Norwich NR13 6LJ
Friday 28 November 2003 12.01pm
The firm I work for has a pretty extensive staff recycling programme (e.g. mobile phones, CDs, spectacles as well as all the usual suspects) - and it's just added (wait for it) batteries to the list of things we can recycle !

I'll try and find out how and where, to see if we can save all those airfares. ;-)
Friday 28 November 2003 2.49pm
Ivanhoe, I think that you will find that all power stations (except the Tate Modern, Battersea and Lots road, all now somewhat less thn crucial for modern living) are in the country. If those people in the country cut their bit of the national grid off from the rest of the country, then we'd be lucky and not to have to read any more postings!

Better a nice clean power station by the sea like Windscale, rather than hundreds upon hundreds of windmills across the North York Moors, making a racket, frightening sheep and disturbing tourists.

You live here, you use power, so just face up to it!
Friday 28 November 2003 3.25pm
mapmaker,

My earlier post said that if people who (are lucky/rich enough to) live in the country, but then (selfishly, NIMBY-ishly) object to having a little bit of their paradise marred by a power station (which, logically, if they don't want it in the country they must want in the towns - which IMO already bear their share of pollution, noise, architectural ugliness, etc in order that they can house the factories/government etc that benefit both country and city dwellers), then I've got no problem with that as long as they disconnect themselves from the grid (not disconnect the rest of us from it).

I hope this is now clear.

Re your point about it being better to have Windscale than windfarms: I'd rather have a turbine scaring the single-headed sheep than nice quiet fields of double-headed ones that glow in the dark. You disagree. Fine, but no need to be snotty about it.

["Facing up to it!", and...]

Friday 28 November 2003 3.36pm
We all lose out if the countryside is defiled with a wind farm. Town dwellers as well. You state that people who live in the country are 'lucky' so why do you want to ruin the countryside?

Oh, and I believe sheep do not have 2 heads when they live near Windscale. If you have any contrary evidence, perhaps you would like to show it to us.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions