London SE1 community website

Recycling plastic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Friday 28 November 2003 4.07pm
You're right. We do all lose out to some extent if the countryside is ruined.

But as long as we keep on needing power stations, then we've either got a choice of making our towns even more ugly and polluted than they are now, or of spreading things around a bit and letting country-dwellers bear some of the brunt.

Personally (and I realise that it's not a view everyone shares), I like wind turbines and wouldn't mind living near one, especially if as part of the deal I got to live on, say, the North York Moors. I would see that as a good trade in for not having to put up with all the inconveniences of city life.

In fact, even if I hated wind turbines, I think I might be inclined to still choose to live within sight of one on the North York Moors rather than to live in a city for the rest of my life. That's the point I'm making...that the inconvenience to country-dwellers and the damage to the countryside is small (if it exists at all) and is probably causing less harm to less people than if we built these things in cities.

I'll concede that you're may possibly be somewhat slightly right about lack of two-headed sheep around Windscale, but I can only repeat that if I had a choice I'd have wind power over nuclear. This may have little scientific basis and may be an irrational fear I have of nuclear power, but it's my opinion.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 28 November 2003 5.20pm
'...you're may possibly be somewhat slightly right about lack of two-headed sheep around Windscale...' Well thank you for agreeing with me on that point.

And where do you think conventional power stations are if not in the countryside? Bankside? Battersea? Sorry if you missed my ironic observation, but all power stations are in the countryside, and largely not in beautiful areas. City located power stations have been shut down, precisely so that Ivanhoe's cornflakes aren't spattered with black soot. The burden instead falls on the countryside.

Onshore wind farms, however, by their very nature, require high, windy places which are generally the most beautiful parts of the country. (If you like bleak, lonely places, which I appreciate not every reader of this site does.)
Friday 28 November 2003 10.26pm
excellent mapmaker,

let's all go nuclear. keeps my cornflakes clean, and keeps the windfarms away from your country idyll. I think we've found a third way.

[waiting for my invitation] [ to come and spend the weekend] [counting the heads on sheep]
Saturday 29 November 2003 2.34am
Ummm, wasn't Windscale renamed Sellafield after some reactor fire years go?
Monday 1 December 2003 12.32pm
i Mapmaker wrote:

> Ivanhoe, I think that you will find that all power stations
> (except the Tate Modern, Battersea and Lots road, all now
> somewhat less thn crucial for modern living) are in the
> country.

many powerstations are located on the edge of towns, which, personally, i would not call countryside.

> Better a nice clean power station by the sea like Windscale,
> rather than hundreds upon hundreds of windmills across the
> North York Moors, making a racket, frightening sheep and
> disturbing tourists.
>

is this a joke? windscale, clean? if i lived in the countryside, and had the option of a powerstation being build down the road, or a wind farm, i would certainly go for the windfarm. when i visit the countryside at a tourist, i am not disturbed by windfarms - i think they look great. i find it hard to believe that the windfarms disturb sheep, and as for the noise they make, have you been up to The Windmill on the southbank? shut your eyes and try to 'hear' it - you'll find that it's virtually silent.

-D.
Monday 1 December 2003 12.56pm
Thank goodness!!

Dimitri, where have you been all my life? I've had to fight off these rants alone for too long. Say it loud: I'd rather live nr a windfarm than an atomic timebomb (oops, sorry, I meant "clean, lovely nuclear power station")

[back in the box for me]

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 3 December 2003 5.46pm
I'd forgotten about this thread....

M'Lady Miss Jo Jo. Windscale was a site by Seascale on the south side of the River Calder with four nuclear reactors set up to generate plutonium for weapons, and also to generate electricity. There was a fire in one of the nuclear reactors in 1957.

Sellafield was a site just north of the River Calder, which was set up to provide other facilities - for nuclear reprocessing, vitirification, recycling etc. In time the two sites became identified as one.

So no, they didn't change the name, but Windscale no longer generates electricity, therefore the remaining site is called Sellafield. I've no doubt that there was a concerted attempt to get rid of the old name. But if I'd chosen Dounray instead for my example, I doubt the example would have been so widely understood.

Anyway, Dmitri, I've no doubt that the single, small turbine on the south bank is barely audible against the hubbub of city life. But hundreds upon hundreds of these things, marching across our most beautiful scenery which does not have a background noise of boats, trains, buses and tubes is audible.

And yes, I can think of better places for nuclear powerstations than Cumbria and Yorkshire, but apparently modern planners cannot think of a better place for a wind farm.

Ivanhoe. Yet another example of your exaggerating - or in this case inventing - facts for your own rather dubious uses. Two-headed sheep indeed.
Thursday 23 November 2006 12.19pm
I thought I would resurrect this old thread (which had a long discussion about how hard it is to recycle batteries in the UK) to mention this new trial scheme.

The first stage of the trial basically involved a kerbside collection of batteries from households for recyling. Southwark isn't taking part in the trial, but I had an email from their environmental team saying they are looking at the result of the trial and are considering implementing this or some other similar scheme.

The second stage is now getting underway which involves setting up drop off collection points at Homebase. Again, none in Southwark during the trial stage, but at least it looks something may get done sooner rather than later.

http://www.wrap.org.uk/local_authorities/batteries/kerbside_trial/index.html
Thursday 23 November 2006 1.27pm
My company offers battery recycling, we just bring em in and drop em off at the stationery room. Neat eh?

Also, when I used to live in Hammersmith, we could recycle plastic. We'd put everything (paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, cans) all into one 'smart' sack and they'd come collect it every week. It was very handy. Don't know why it's not available from all London councils.

At the moment my building doesn't have any recycling facilities and I haven't figured out where I should be bringing it to yet (I live on Lant Street) - it's quite a change from just being able to drop it off downstairs though ...
Thursday 23 November 2006 2.02pm
hong kong penguin wrote:
My company offers battery recycling, we just bring em in and drop em off at the stationery room. Neat eh?

My work does the same, but they are then shipped off to Holland to be recycled because there aren't sufficient facilities in the UK to do it. I have a sneaking suspicion the transportation alone wipes out any benefit from recyling the batteries in the first place...

:-(
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions