London SE1 community website

Recycling plastic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6
Thursday 23 November 2006 2.45pm
I do find it hard to rationalise what is 'good recycling' and what is bad recycling.

I worry about how much water is used washing tins to put in recycling

I worry about how much petrol is burned taking stuff to a recycling plant

I worry about how much of the 'wrong sort' of plastic is put in with 'the right sort' and the contamination of a whole batch of recycling as a result.

I do not know the answer as to which is better and which is more damaging.

I therefor worry that the steam hammer of taxation on rubbish, microchips in wheelie bins etc is tackling the problem from the wrong end.

In my humble opinion Government should put pressure / legislate / tax the suppliers and shops on the amount of packaging used rather than the public on the amount they receive (reluctantly) and have to dispose of. But I suppose pressure on supermarkets like "Lord" Sainsbury's and the like is not what government does bullying the little man is more their bag.

Personally I would prefer my tomatoes came in a biodegradble punnet rather that a non recyclable punnet and then to be critised for throwing the wretched thing away is the final irritation. It is all very depressing.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions